Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Mon 25-Feb-13 13:09:06
Print Post

Event Logging Query - 582n

[link to this post]

Can someone confirm what "xDSL linestate down" in the event logging of the router actually means?

Does it mean a disconnection to Plusnet (like a PPP session) or does it mean the modem has re synched?

(I did ask this question here, but no response)

(NB: Although I have had three of the above within a five minute period a few days ago my BT IP Profile remains the same)

Thanks

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Feb-13 14:18:09
Print Post

Re: Event Logging Query - 582n

[re: shalom2005] [link to this post]

Looks like you are losing sync to me (rather than just the PPP session).

If you reconnect at a similar speed then your IP Profile won't change.

Can you see if the sync speed is different?

I can recommend RouterStats (free s/w) to monitor your line smile

Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Mon 25-Feb-13 14:48:51
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Ooops sorry. I have an answer from Chris on the Plusnet Forum now. It refers to a PPP session ending, not a line line resynch.

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 25-Feb-13 17:11:05
Print Post

I thought it meant that the ADSL connection was down, which is to be expected as you're not using the DSL port on the 582n - you're using one of the LAN ports as a WAN port to connect to the modem.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Feb-13 18:08:54
Print Post

Loss of sync, but if noise has gone away and modem resyncs quickly it can do this before the remote devices register a PPP Timeout.

IP Profile can remain identical if everytime you resync it is at the same speed.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Feb-13 22:14:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

One piece of information is missing
The poster is on fibre so anything on the router log refers to the PPP session as it doesn't register a resync of the modem which may or may not have happened

Edited by Oldjim (Mon 25-Feb-13 22:14:47)

Standard User shalom2005
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-13 07:57:42
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

Thanks OldJim - you're correct of course. I got clarification from the Plusnet forum. (Sorry to cross post.)

I have been checking the router 'Up Time' as well as speedtest.btwholesale.com for profile changes. I presume that if the fibre 582n router did reboot this could be due to a modem re synch?

Best Regards

Steven, Chigwell, Essex

My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Feb-13 09:05:59
Print Post

Modem resync would mean router would reauthenticate but no reason for it to totally reboot

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 26-Feb-13 09:19:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
but no reason for it to totally reboot
I have had it happen once (before I moved to fibre and had a combined modem/router)... I forget which router, but I think there was a second re-sync while the router was partway through the re-authentication phase. Presumably it got confused and an error trap initiated a reboot.

But I'd agree it's more than a little unusual.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User humm
(committed) Tue 26-Feb-13 12:54:37
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

The message is about the xDSL connection, but just because the ADSL line is down it doesn't mean it was ever up! As far as I can remember, that message can be printed by the router on start-up, so perhaps the router just rebooted. For it to mean anything, there would have to be a corresponding xDSL linestate up, which there won't be if nothing is plugged into the ADSL port on the router!

Edited by humm (Tue 26-Feb-13 12:57:22)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to