Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Roberto1
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 10:41:06
Print Post

What master socket have I got?

[link to this post]

I hope this is the right forum for this query.
A couple of years ago an Openreach engineer fitted a new master socket. It has a removable faceplate and two sockets , one for phone & one for the modem. It seems to call itself Openreach ADSL V10. The faceplate is filtered and it seems generally similar to the NTE5 type of socket but I can't find out much about it.
When I remove the faceplate there is a test socket which will only accept a telephone plug so I can only use it by connecting via the modem socket on a plug in filter. Does this seem o.k.? I need to be quite clear as I have to raise a query with my ISP and I want to preempt silly questions about test sockets etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Feb-13 11:51:44
Print Post

Re: What master socket have I got?

[re: Roberto1] [link to this post]

That makes perfect sense, you have the standard Openreach ADSL faceplate i.e. the one on the right at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/iplate/bt-adsl-...

So yes when removing the faceplate to test at the socket you need to use a plug adapter to fit the modem lead into the socket, a microfilter, or an old lead from a PSTN dialup modem will suffice.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/images/faq/faceplates/... The socket attached to the wall is what you see for your test socket. (Ignore the plate with the wiring on it in that photo)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Roberto1
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 12:16:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I thought that must be it, but as my knowledge of these things is only rudimentary I felt I'd better check.

Thanks again.

Edited by Roberto1 (Tue 26-Feb-13 12:19:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Feb-13 12:19:27
Print Post

Just click the links, copy and paste of the text including the ... will give a page not found

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Roberto1
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 12:33:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Mr.S ! My deletion of the ps crossed in the post with your reply.

I found that the links worked on this site but not when I clicked on them in Gmail
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 26-Feb-13 12:41:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by Roberto1:
I found that the links worked on this site but not when I clicked on them in Gmail
They don't very often work from email notifications- they're not "real" links, just the truncated text that shows in a forum post, with the actual url "behind" it. It's done that way to avoid the messing up of the display that very long urls can cause.

They only work from email if they're short enough to avoid truncation.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Roberto1
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 15:06:49
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Now that's useful info! Cheers.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 26-Feb-13 21:10:03
Print Post

If you compare an email notification with the actual content of the post (use the "quote" button) you'll see that the former is just the latter with all the bbcode stripped out.

So bold isn't emboldened, emoticons may disappear etc.

It's obvious why (no reason an email client should understand forum code) but, especially with more complex structures like multiple or nested quotes, lists and urls etc, it sure doesn't make it any easier to read shocked

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 26-Feb-13 21:35:24
Print Post

Sometimes the filters in those V10's are less reliable than the dangly filters. Do you get diff results with or w/out the faceplate?

What's the Q with your ISP? Is it anything we can help you with?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Roberto1
(regular) Tue 26-Feb-13 21:52:34
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I thought I would need to complain about increasingly frequent disconnects (ranging from once in about two hours to twice in five minutes) but it seems the problem might have been as you suggested with the V10 filter. I got a good connection with the test socket so I fitted dangly filters all round and have now had no drop out for more than five hours.
I'll keep my fingers crossed and check again in the morning. Here's hoping smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to