Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bilbonvidia
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 18:09:53
Print Post

PPPoA ADSL and "cable" router

[link to this post]

I can only get PPPoA adsl and was thinking of taking advantage of the better non adsl routers available.

I was wondering though, some of the routers I am looking at claim they can handle so many connections due to high processing power great for torrents etc, if I then stick something like a netgear dg series router in front of this to do the PPPoA and set the new router to the dmz of the lesser router does this then render this extra power useless eg cause a connection bottle neck?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Mar-13 18:20:13
Print Post

Re: PPPoA ADSL and "cable" router

[re: bilbonvidia] [link to this post]

Yes the DG device if its NAT is running (which it still is with DMZ) would remain a bottle neck.
You need a device that can peform as a modem, but all too often these are under powered devices.

Latest generation ADSL routers can be pretty powerful.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/78-as...
There is newer firmware that even allows this router to now be used as a non-ADSL router in the future.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 06-Mar-13 18:56:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for that link, that was one of the routers I have looked at.

If I could disable nat/routing on the lesser router would that effectively pass all processig on?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Mar-13 21:35:55
Print Post

If you can turn the other router into a simple bridging device then yes bypass most of the processing

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Sat 09-Mar-13 15:01:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I believe the vigor 120 can do what I would need ie bridge pppoa to pppoe but it seems pricey.

Do you know if the tplink td 8817 or the billion 5200s, I am not quite sure.?
Standard User Cheule
(experienced) Mon 18-Mar-13 11:36:32
Print Post

I have the 8817 and am *trying* to do the same thing but no success so far (I have made a separate thread about it so as not to pollute this one)

(learned) Tue 16-Apr-13 11:18:19
Print Post

[re: Cheule] [link to this post]

In the end I got a vigor 120 v2 and an asus n66u which is excellent by the way, blazing fast wireless speeds. This was ver simple to setup, no config at all on the vigor for me although you can change adsl setttings, set asus to ppoe and entered username and password and all is well. Router gets the wan address dyndns etc all works.

My only qualm is that my broadband speed does not seem quite as fast on speedtests.net etc with the draytek as with my old netgear dgnd3700.

With a SNR Margin of 6 and attenuation of 35, syncing at around 13 mbps. Speedtests between five and 10 max. adsl2+

Edited by bilbonvidia (Tue 16-Apr-13 11:21:03)

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Tue 16-Apr-13 17:50:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by bilbonvidia:
My only qualm is that my broadband speed does not seem quite as fast on speedtests.net etc with the draytek as with my old netgear dgnd3700.

Who's your isp? The Netgear uses a broadcom chipset whereas the Draytek 120 uses an Infineon chipset. So unless your isp uses Infineon gear at your exchange dslam you will notice a decrease in sync. Nevertheless the Draytek 120 is a soild ethernet modem, i'm using it on my TalkTalk ADSL2+ line with a Linksys EA6500 router and its stays synced for months at a time smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Tue 16-Apr-13 17:51:58)

Print Thread

Jump to