Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User talkingbollox
(newbie) Sat 09-Mar-13 10:56:34
Print Post

Lease renewal time on O2

[link to this post]

Hi, my router is sending out lease renewal requests every 59 minutes. Is this normal?

Mar 09 10:00:59 user udhcpc: Sending renew...
Mar 09 10:00:59 user udhcpc: Lease of 188.222.XX.XX obtained, lease time 3540

I'm on O2 using a Billion 7800N router. Where can I change the renewal time on this?

Thanks in advance

Edited by talkingbollox (Sat 09-Mar-13 11:25:01)

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Mar-13 15:09:54
Print Post

Re: Lease renewal time on O2

[re: talkingbollox] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by talkingbollox:
I'm on O2 using a Billion 7800N router. Where can I change the renewal time on this?

It's normal. WAN-side lease renewal time is outside of your control, it's set by the ISP.

If the lease expiry is 1 hour, it should renew after 30 minutes.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Sat 09-Mar-13 15:11:28)

(newbie) Sat 09-Mar-13 15:39:59
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Every hour? Surely not? I thought O2 renews the lease every 12hours? Or at least the old O2 network did before the upgrade?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Mar-13 11:42:42
Print Post

Every hour? Surely not? I thought O2 renews the lease every 12hours? Or at least the old O2 network did before the upgrade?

PMFJI, but what is the problem with this? Thank you.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
(newbie) Sun 10-Mar-13 12:07:57
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DrTeeth:
PMFJI, but what is the problem with this? Thank you.

It causes sparodic disconnects, annoying when you're in the middle of watching a stream.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Mar-13 12:36:29
Print Post

It causes sparodic disconnects, annoying when you're in the middle of watching a stream.

Thanks.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Mar-13 23:13:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
If the lease expiry is 1 hour, it should renew after 30 minutes.

Unless its a faulty DHCP client, which has been seen in some router firmware. (I think the said firmware wasn't tested on simple DHCP).

DHCP address renewal shouldn't ever affect usage, unless the network has more customers than IPs.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Mar-13 23:19:47
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Yeah, I think DGTeam had a knack of breaking DHCP. But as you say, lease renewals shouldn't disconnect or break anything on a well-behaved DHCP client, so it shouldn't matter if the lease expires in 1 hour or 1 week.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Mar-13 23:21:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Yeah, I think DGTeam had a knack of breaking DHCP. But as you say, lease renewals shouldn't disconnect or break anything on a well-behaved DHCP client, so it shouldn't matter if the lease expires in 1 hour or 1 week.

I kinda wonder if DGteam were only testing on lines using PPP of some sort as I don't think DHCP is used on PPP as the IP negotiation is handled within PPP. (oA or oE).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Estimate 44.6/6.5 - Install 52/12 - Actual 46 / 8 Mbps
Huawei VDSL -> Draytek router -> Apple Airport Extreme -> Belkin Switch -> Windows/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
  Print Thread

Jump to