Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 14-Mar-13 11:44:11
Print Post

Fonera SIMPL

[link to this post]

Hi This may be obvious to some and i think it can but nice to Doudle make sure

Can the Fonera SIMPL act as a personal router as well as a fon sharing router from all the descriptions about it you plug it into you current router, but it dose have 1Xlan and 1Xwan so id presume i can plug the WAN into my Openreach modem and then plug a pc into the LAN

At the moment i only have 1 Wired PC smack next to the router then my mum pc / phones etc use wifi, at the moment im using this old Dlink wireless G with german firmware that cost a fiver and TBF it dose the job as speeds over 20meg on wifi are not needed but the Fonera SIMPL dose have wireless N which would give a nice signal increase as well as the extra speed if its ever needed

it would also be 1 less box plugged in rather than it been OR modem > Dlink > Fonera SIMPL it could just be OR > Fonera SIMPL

Thanks For Any Advice

Ash

Plus.net - Extra Fibre - IP Profile - 69.54 Mbps / 20Mbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 08:17:11
Print Post

Re: Fonera SIMPL

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

the spec looks like it will do what you want :

Ports 1 WAN Ethernet port for connecting ADSL or cable modem, 1 LAN Ethernet port for connecting computers.
Security WEP 64/128 bit, WPA, WPA2, WPA mixed
SSIDs 1 Fon network SSID (FON_FREE_INTERNET) for public use, 1 private WPA-PSK encrypted SSID (MyPlace) for personal use.

but I haven't had one in my hands personally.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 15-Mar-13 11:38:11
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

thanks i thought it would work but when ive read info they always make out you plug the wan into one of your previous lan ports on your current router, but i never saw why it would not work direct to modem too the only limiting factor would maybe if it allows entering PPPOE settings for my plusnet user name/password obviously with cable modems the detail are stored in the modem its self

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 14:40:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by acpsd775:
obviously with cable modems the detail are stored in the modem its self
?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 15-Mar-13 14:45:55
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
?

Ports 1 WAN Ethernet port for connecting ADSL or cable modem

With cable modems the username/password is pre configed into the modem so you would have no problem connecting a fon router direct to the modem using it as your only router and still getting online fine,
As you know with plusnet FTTC you have to put your PPPOE username/password into the router to authenticate so i was saying hopefully the fon allows PPPOE details to be stored if not i would not be able to use it as the main router and would have to plug it into my existing router which TBF i dont fancy having 3 boxes plugged in.

Ive ordered one today so will soon see how i go about configuring it and weather or not there's a page for PPPOE user

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:00:27
Print Post

?
With cable modems the username/password is pre configed into the modem
Complete news to me. I assume you mean whatever kit Virgin Media supply under the soubriquet "modem", but never having used VM or any of its predecessors I have to admit to ignorance.

As a point of interest, the Openreach "modems" are in fact modem/routers in bridged mode. A few people are using HG612s as modem/routers. (No WAP of course).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:09:05
Print Post

... nested quotes trimmed ...
?
With cable modems the username/password is pre configed into the modem
Complete news to me. I assume you mean whatever kit Virgin Media supply under the soubriquet "modem", but never having used VM or any of its predecessors I have to admit to ignorance.

As a point of interest, the Openreach "modems" are in fact modem/routers in bridged mode. A few people are using HG612s as modem/routers. (No WAP of course).

sorry yea i do mean VM all the config is stored in the modem bit VM send a config file the the modem with your speed cap into and the modems mac address authenticates you onto the network and then you just plug a router in and it tends to just work lol (although now they do use the all in one superdud thing which i things a bag of crud lol they updated me to one just before i left but always put it in modem mode and continued to use my separate router)

ive tried the OR modem in router mode my self but i still needed wifi (i only use 1 wire to my dekstop) but the rest phone mums pc mates laptops etc all use wifi so i still ended up plugging a router in for the wifi bit so decided to just put the OR modem back into bridged and carry on using it as a default setup
The fon router will be fine for my needs with the 1Xlan port and rest on wifi if it dose indeed accept PPPOE i think it dosebut there is not much info about its settings on the net so who knows untill it comes, if not i will have to have a mess with the OR modem and get that to start authenticating the PPPOE again.

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:12:34
Print Post

ive tried the OR modem in router mode my self but i still needed wifi (i only use 1 wire to my dekstop) but the rest phone mums pc mates laptops etc all use wifi so i still ended up plugging a router in for the wifi bit so decided to just put the OR modem back into bridged and carry on using it as a default setup
The fon router will be fine for my needs with the 1Xlan port and rest on wifi if it dose indeed accept PPPOE i think it dosebut there is not much info about its settings on the net so who knows untill it comes, if not i will have to have a mess with the OR modem and get that to start authenticating the PPPOE again.
smile
That's good. It means you will be able to achieve what you want, whether or not.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Fri 15-Mar-13 15:16:04
Print Post

smile
That's good. It means you will be able to achieve what you want, whether or not.

yea either way i can keep it at 2 devices in an ideal world there would be a fon VDSL modem but i suppose we cant have it all lol

Ash

My Broadband Speed Test
Speedtest net
My Broadband Ping
  Print Thread

Jump to