Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ianfuture
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 11:35:52
Print Post

Draytek Vigor 120 causes slower speed

[link to this post]

Hi,

I swapped my Thompson 585v7 from O2 for a Draytek Vigor 120 and I got a surprising DROP in speed of approx 2MB to just under 4MB, was just under 6MB with O2 box. This is connected direct to main socket ADSL filter

I thought the Vigor 120 was supposed to be good and so I was expecting the same if not higher speed. Any idea of causes and if I should just go back to the O2 box and hack to make it a pass through unit ?

Also not sure if it's a v1 Vigor 120 or v2. No indication any where it's v2 so i assume v1. Firmware is latest version too.

any ideas?
Standard User panda
(committed) Fri 15-Mar-13 12:51:41
Print Post

Re: Draytek Vigor 120 causes slower speed

[re: ianfuture] [link to this post]

Are you referring to Sync or throughput?
Is it using the same modulation (e.g. ADSL 2+ G.992.5) as the Thompson? How do the line stats compare?

The latest firmware is different for the V1 (3.2.4.4) & V2 (3.2.6) so it would help if you know which you actually have.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User ianfuture
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:15:39
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

I'm refering to speeds based on the Speed test on this site.

Same modulation.

Line stats about the same
9db SNR
42-43 line attenuation

Firmware is 3.2.4.4 and model is Vigor120 (no v2 ) so I'm working on assumption it's a v1

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:31:34
Print Post

First step is to get the router stats from both devices and compare them.

This rules out variations that are possible to the great beast that is the Internet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User panda
(committed) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:35:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by ianfuture:
9db SNR
42-43 line attenuation
What sync is achieved by both devices? Are they different?

What are you using as the end point for the PPP session? Could this be the cause of lower throughput (if the sync speed is the same?
It may be worth connecting the V120 directly to your computer and creating a PPP connection to test and compare?

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User ianfuture
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:37:49
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

i have
i just can't post them here for some reasons as they're screen shots. Info in previous posts sums up main stats
Standard User ianfuture
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 13:43:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by panda:
9db SNR
42-43 line attenuation
What sync is achieved by both devices? Are they different?

What are you using as the end point for the PPP session? Could this be the cause of lower throughput (if the sync speed is the same?
It may be worth connecting the V120 directly to your computer and creating a PPP connection to test and compare?

I'm on O2 so use MPoa connection. both sets of stats collected direct from connection to router/modem. What do you mean by sync speed and PPP?
Standard User panda
(committed) Fri 15-Mar-13 14:07:57
Print Post

I'm on O2 so use MPoa connection. both sets of stats collected direct from connection to router/modem. What do you mean by sync speed and PPP?
OK, so ignore the PPP question, as Be/O2 use a different method.

The sync is the rate at which the modem as connected to the exchange. It is reported as 'Up Speed' & 'Down Speed' within the admin pages of the modem. Or you can use the command 'adsl status' when accessing the modem via telnet to grab the info.

What we need to determine is whether the modem is actually connecting at a lower speed (which will be revealed by comparing the connection stats) or whether it's something else.

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User ianfuture
(newbie) Fri 15-Mar-13 14:12:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by panda:
OK, so ignore the PPP question, as Be/O2 use a different method.

The sync is the rate at which the modem as connected to the exchange. It is reported as 'Up Speed' & 'Down Speed' within the admin pages of the modem. Or you can use the command 'adsl status' when accessing the modem via telnet to grab the info.

What we need to determine is whether the modem is actually connecting at a lower speed (which will be revealed by comparing the connection stats) or whether it's something else.

it is syncing at slower speed:

O2 box: bandwidth up/down : 1095/6740 kbps

Vigor 120: upspeed 1041041 downspeed 4278857
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Mar-13 16:43:25
Print Post

So in that case it is not a throughput issue, but that the O2 box which will be set up to cope nicely with the o2 hardware at exchange connects at 6.7Meg, and Vigor at 4.2 Meg

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to