Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Cheule
(experienced) Mon 18-Mar-13 11:34:06
Print Post

Getting a TP-Link 8817 and Asus RT-N66U talking

[link to this post]

Hi guys I need some help. I have the above modem and router combo which is my first foray into separates. Previously I have just gone with the DG834G line of routers which have served well over the years and I wanted something more powerful and up to date.

My problem is I can't seem to get the 8817 talking with the RT-N66U. I had read glowing recommendations from people about this pairing so I went with them.

As I understand it, the 8817 has to be put in bridging mode once it's been set up to connect to the internet, but once I do that the internet light goes out! I have connected it's LAN port to the WAN port on the Asus, the best I've managed so far is the Asus gets an IP from the 8817 (not my actual internet static IP), it says it's connected but there's no throughput and all pages fail.

I'm on Be* Unlimited if that helps, please I'm tearing my hair out smile

Edited by Cheule (Mon 18-Mar-13 16:04:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 11:43:47
Print Post

Re: Getting a TP-Link 8817 and Asus RT-N66U talking

[re: Cheule] [link to this post]

Did you set the RT-N66U up to provide the authentication details via a PPPoE session on its WAN port?

You are not alone it seems.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?2504-Td-8817...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Mar-13 11:47:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by Cheule:
Hi guys I need someAs I understand it, the 8817 has to be put in bridging mode once it's been set up to connect to the internet, but once I do that the internet light goes out!

Normally the internet light indicates that the modem/router has obtained an IP address, putting it into modem only mode drops the internet light because it drops the IP address (which the connecting router then should then obtain).

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Mar-13 11:49:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Did you set the RT-N66U up to provide the authentication details via a PPPoE session on its WAN port?

BE would require Ethernet over ATM.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:51:55
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

And how many routers with Ethernet WAN ports have you seen with Ethernet over ATM?

Modems that other bridge mode can do various tricks sometimes, so while it may get the auth details via PPPoE, it does not always mean it is establishing a PPPoE connection out over the Internet.

Some bridge modems do the authentication still, and simple hand the Internet IP address to the first device on its LAN side that requests a DHCP based IP address.

Personally don't like the bridge modes because the router manufacturers seem to leave lots of bugs in that option.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 18-Mar-13 13:00:19
Print Post

I think you're referring to half-bridge mode, and DHCP spoofing.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Mar-13 14:31:01
Print Post

And how many routers with Ethernet WAN ports have you seen with Ethernet over ATM?

More technically, it's RFC2684, which is what BE use, and has nothing to do with PPPoE. A router in this mode will happily connect to BE over a bridged modem (in fact, the router is just acting as a standard DHCP client).

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 18-Mar-13 14:34:56)

Standard User Cheule
(experienced) Mon 18-Mar-13 14:37:00
Print Post

You are not alone it seems.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?2504-Td-8817...

Well I have tried, but there's a problem in that the RT-N66U requires a username and password for the ADSL connection, however Be* users do not require one.

Other people have claimed success so either they are big fibbers or I'm missing something simple.

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Mar-13 14:52:02
Print Post

Other people have claimed success so either they are big fibbers or I'm missing something simple.

Router specs say:

WAN Connection Type
Internet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
Multicast Proxy support

"Automatic IP, Static IP" would cover BE.

Oliver.
Standard User Cheule
(experienced) Mon 18-Mar-13 15:08:51
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:

Router specs say:

WAN Connection Type
Internet connection type : Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE(MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
Multicast Proxy support

"Automatic IP, Static IP" would cover BE.

Static IP is the only option I have got the 8817 to connect to the internet with and route traffic. I cannot seem to replicate this on the RT-N66U however. It says connected with an IP of 192.168.1.101 (given by the 8817) but no traffic.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to