Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User T_Bag
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 10:08:51
Print Post

Asus RT-N66U Locks me out

[link to this post]

Hi guys, need some help. I have been using RT-N66U for 5 days now. It works great, but then every day it locks me out. It has now happened quite a few times to get me worried. Last night it happened twice.

I've done a 30-30-30 reset to clear out the NVRAM, still it locks me out, and I can't get to the router GUI. I also followed the Merlin advice here to erase the nvram settings that tell the router that someone is already logged in, since the router doesn't allow more than one simultaneous user to be logged in. Still no go.

Any ideas would be appreciated, before I pack it up and get a replacement.
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 24-Mar-13 10:30:14
Print Post

Re: Asus RT-N66U Locks me out

[re: T_Bag] [link to this post]

Are you using the latest firmware revision (3.0.0.5.354)? It was only uploaded to the Asus site on Friday and mentions fixes for wireless time control bugs.

You can download it from here.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User T_Bag
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 10:38:08
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I'm using the Merlin 3.0.0.4.270.26b fw. Thanks for the 354 fw link, I'll use it now. I just hope that my problem is just a software hiccup, and could be cured by a f/w upgrade. If it is a hardware problem, then the router needs to be replaced within 14 days.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User T_Bag
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 14:44:08
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Firmware 354 may have been mistakenly released by Asus, so says Merlin.
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 24-Mar-13 14:58:59
Print Post

I did wonder a bit when I d/led it (after my post in here)- it was a .rar file, they're usually .zip.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll refrain from loading it for a while!

(They've released too early at least once before- I d/led a file, something made me cautious and when I checked a couple of days later it had been pulled.)

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Mar-13 21:43:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by T_Bag:
If it is a hardware problem, then the router needs to be replaced within 14 days.

If that is the seller's rule, it is likely to be illegal as the Sale of Goods Act gives more rights than that. It's worth a read, especially considering the number of retailers who are not too familiar with the contents.

I'd return the router. I have been using the Merlin firmware from day 1 and have never been locked out.

Good luck,

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User T_Bag
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 22:12:20
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I have been using the Merlin firmware from day 1 and have never been locked out.

Yes, that seems to be the consensus of opinion. I raised this very same question on the Plusnet forum, got a slightly more response, and seems this lockout is virtually unknown. But then I did come across this thread, before I raised this question on the fora. Now that tells a different story.

Whenever I used to login the router GUI, I would never logout, just kill the tab, or the browser. Could that be a possible cause?

I am now making sure to logout from the Asus GUI, whenever I login. One more lockout and off it goes back to the seller.

Edited by T_Bag (Sun 24-Mar-13 22:15:44)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Mar-13 16:46:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by T_Bag:
I am now making sure to logout from the Asus GUI, whenever I login. One more lockout and off it goes back to the seller.

I often, but not always logout, but I can get into the GUI without (re)entering the username and password.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User T_Bag
(newbie) Mon 25-Mar-13 16:51:57
Print Post

That is true, and my guess is that by logging out, the nvram is cleared so that the router knows that no one is logged in, but the user credentials are still kept intact within the router.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 25-Mar-13 18:46:01
Print Post

I find that if I don't log out then I can't get in on another computer unless I go back to the first and either log out or close the browser.

Just closing the tab doesn't log me out, I can go back in (even several days later) without giving a username and password.

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to