Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User matty_hunt
(member) Tue 02-Apr-13 10:46:02
Print Post

which modem router should I buy?

[link to this post]

Hi. Im after some advice please. My dad had a basic talk talk broadband connection. He was supplied their D-Link DSL-2680 modem but he struggles to get a wireless connection on his 802.11n laptop outside the room the modem is in. He lives in a bungalow and the signal is zero on the other side of the house, less than 10m away.
I was thinking of buying a new modem for him but not sure what. I dont want to spend much and it doesnt need to have all singing, all dancing features. One pro review rated the Belkin N+ as having good range. Its a few years old so is available for £25 but amazon reviews are not great. Whilst looking around I came across dual band modems. Would that be of benefit? Upgrades on the N+ is the Belkin N600 DB or N600 HD, second hand for £30. Again these dont get good reviews on the whole.
Any other recommendations in the sub £30 arena? As I say, it doesnt have to be the latest or fastest, his average connection is 3meg so an old model will do. It just needs to be reliable with strong signal to get through a few brick walls.
Many thanks

Just thought, when the grandkids are over there will be two extra wireless laptops and smartphones wanting the wireless connection too. I have a 3com G router with four laptops and two iphones on it. Do you think it would be better to give my dad the 3com and get something better for us? But I dont want to spend much.
Cheers

Edited by matty_hunt (Tue 02-Apr-13 11:39:15)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 02-Apr-13 12:18:17
Print Post

Re: which modem router should I buy?

[re: matty_hunt] [link to this post]

Dual band as in 2.4 and 5 GHz are good for speed, but the 5GHz is stopped by solid walls.

if the bungalow has solid brick walls, or foil backed plasterboard, then any wifi router might struggle.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Tue 02-Apr-13 12:50:34
Print Post

Re: which modem router should I buy?

[re: matty_hunt] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matty_hunt:
Hi. Im after some advice please. My dad had a basic talk talk broadband connection. He was supplied their D-Link DSL-2680 modem but he struggles to get a wireless connection on his 802.11n laptop outside the room the modem is in. He lives in a bungalow and the signal is zero on the other side of the house, less than 10m away.
I was thinking of buying a new modem for him but not sure what. I dont want to spend much and it doesnt need to have all singing, all dancing features. One pro review rated the Belkin N+ as having good range. Its a few years old so is available for £25 but amazon reviews are not great. Whilst looking around I came across dual band modems. Would that be of benefit? Upgrades on the N+ is the Belkin N600 DB or N600 HD, second hand for £30. Again these dont get good reviews on the whole.
Any other recommendations in the sub £30 arena? As I say, it doesnt have to be the latest or fastest, his average connection is 3meg so an old model will do. It just needs to be reliable with strong signal to get through a few brick walls.
Many thanks

Just thought, when the grandkids are over there will be two extra wireless laptops and smartphones wanting the wireless connection too. I have a 3com G router with four laptops and two iphones on it. Do you think it would be better to give my dad the 3com and get something better for us? But I dont want to spend much.
Cheers
If you are familiar with the 3Com router get a 3Com everytime, they are great wireless routers. Test your Dad's wireless LAN with your 3Com router, if it works, get another 3Com router. wink

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=3Com+3CRWDR101...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to