Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Corbula
(member) Tue 09-Apr-13 18:20:44
Print Post

Do i own the OpenReach modem?

[link to this post]

Hey, i've had fttc for a while now and just wondered, do i own the OpenReach modem that they supply when they install?

Also how can i use the Lan 2 port of the modem?

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 09-Apr-13 19:12:09
Print Post

Re: Do i own the OpenReach modem?

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

Not sure, but if you do not own it, can you charge Openreach for the electricity it uses plus the floor space used?

IanD
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Apr-13 19:17:04
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Only if the terms and conditions for the service said that you could charge for it.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zom22
(newbie) Tue 09-Apr-13 19:19:03
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

No,
The modem remains the property of BTOR.

The situation is exactly the same as your gas or electric meter.
The unit is provided for you, but it remains the property of the utility company.
Note that you are required to take reasonable care of it and that any damage to it may be chargeable by BT to you - in much the same way as if you damaged a gas meter Transco would send you the (big) bill.

Edited by zom22 (Tue 09-Apr-13 19:19:57)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Apr-13 19:19:33
Print Post

[re: Corbula] [link to this post]

The openreach modem is part of the service, and ownership and responsibility for replacing it if it breaks, or your dog eats it should be laid out in your Terms and Conditions with the retail provider.

The LAN2 port is not active, and the device as supplied is only intended for connecting a router to provide the service. You can hack the device, but then if you break it, a small possibility that Openreach might charge you for a new modem.

If you are wanting to experiment, then buy a spare device and use that for the experiments.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Tue 09-Apr-13 22:03:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If you are wanting to experiment, then buy a spare device and use that for the experiments.

I would like to do this. But I am only interested in a brand new unit, not those on eBay with doubtful provenance. The eBay sales could illegal of selling in BT equipment.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 10-Apr-13 10:20:39
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Most of them certainly are.

The nearest legitimate one you might get would be: http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2013/01/28/c... Whether or not asbokid still has any remaining ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to