Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lt567
(committed) Tue 09-Apr-13 19:23:40
Print Post

FTTC PPOE routers

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Just trying to look for a replacement router for my fibre broadband. I'm not convinced with the TG582n it seems to be giving me hassle. The confusing thing is when I look under various hardware websites, some have their own fibre router sections and others don't. For example I just seen the TP Link TL-WR842ND which offers PPOE, but isn't listed under the fibre router sections.

Is there something I'm missing that is required when connecting to an Openreach modem, does it need more than offering ppoe for example? I only ask because if I filter by fibre routers the cheapest one is around £50, and the TP Link one is a lot cheaper but simply not listed under wireless fibre routers.

Thanks.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 09-Apr-13 20:36:28
Print Post

Re: FTTC PPOE routers

[re: lt567] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lt567:
Is there something I'm missing that is required when connecting to an Openreach modem, does it need more than offering ppoe for example? I only ask because if I filter by fibre routers the cheapest one is around £50, and the TP Link one is a lot cheaper but simply not listed under wireless fibre routers.

No - you are not missing anything.

The routers which work are not dedicated fibre routers which, presumably, is why sellers do not list them as such.

It is a router, not a modem router. As you say - as long as it can connect a PPOE session over an ethernet input connection it will be fine.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User lt567
(committed) Tue 09-Apr-13 21:40:02
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Ah right OK thank you. So if I was to look at cable routers in general, as long as they are ppoe and it doesn't say Telewest/Virgin only they should be fine to use?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 09-Apr-13 22:02:39
Print Post

Probably but as retailers often dont understand things it is worth checking a model.

Also check reviews of router to see it can route a lot more data than your expected connection speed otherwise router becomes a bottle neck

Just because a device has a gigabit ethernet does not mean it will run at those speeds

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lt567
(committed) Tue 09-Apr-13 22:05:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 22:39:46
Print Post

I got one of these when I first got FTTC with IDNet. Their routers were a silly price.

Still using it on Plusnet having tried their WNR1000 and 582n.

Send it back if you don't like it - that was my approach when I got it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User lt567
(committed) Tue 09-Apr-13 22:45:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Rob that is a good price, you pleased with it?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 22:56:48
Print Post

I've only tried those three on FTTC.

My only other point of comparison is with my several ADSL routers. Linksys something wireless always poor then died, Speedtouch 585v6 fine, O2 585 replaced it but ditched as non-tweakable, then a Netgear 834N v1 that was good until I tried the DG(?) firmware on it - that didn't provide much so I reverted to native and bricked it in the process crazy, followed by an 834PN that was fine and is still in use elsewhere.

I connect wirelessly 99.9% of the time, and the Buffalo has noticeably better wireless than any of them. I doubt if it is excellent, but yes, I'm happy.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User lt567
(committed) Tue 09-Apr-13 23:06:58
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Perfect sounds good to me smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 09-Apr-13 23:13:30
Print Post

I don't know if you are used to the Amazon "Free delivery" option.

First - most things come next day, despite the 3-5 day statement.

On 1-click ordering at least, the standard delivery charge is auto-added. You need to go in immediately after the order is accepted and edit the delivery back to the free one.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to