Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User davsmith
(regular) Wed 24-Apr-13 19:20:14
Print Post

FTTC + ADSL failover

[link to this post]

I've just ordered a FTTC connection along with a second phone line (from Plusnet). I'd like to organise things so that if the FTTC connection goes down that I can automatically failover to a basic ADSL service running with a different ISP on the other line - as reliable internet access is very important for my work. Quite a few routers seem to offer multiple-WAN connections (dual-WAN/triple-WAN/quad-WAN), but most of the blurb seems to discuss more about failover to a 3G connection or another ethernet port rather than failover between FTTC/VDSL2 (via the Openreach modem) and ADSL2+ on another line.

Would the Draytek Vigor 2850 do everything that I want i.e. switch between the Openreach FTTC modem on an ethernet port and it's own internal ADSL2+ on the other line if the FTTC breaks down? Does it switch automatically in a pretty much seamless fashion or is there a big delay and lots of lost packets while it switches over? Are there better choices out there?

Thanks for any help/suggestions/corrections.

Edited by davsmith (Wed 24-Apr-13 19:22:29)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 01:02:18
Print Post

Re: FTTC + ADSL failover

[re: davsmith] [link to this post]

You can use the 2850's internal VDSL modem instead of the Openreach modem if you're not too worried about Openreach T&Cs and have the router switch between native VDSL and ADSL in the event of FTTC outage. That may result in a quicker failover than if you go via ethernet to the Openreach modem.

I use a 2850 on FTTC without the Openreach modem and it works flawlessly.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 01:04:48
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

How would you wire that, given that you can't have FTTC and ADSLx on the same line?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 01:35:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The router has an adapter that allows you to connect separate VDSL and ADSL lines simultaneously. Quite straightforward really.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 08:36:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
The router has an adapter that allows you to connect separate VDSL and ADSL lines simultaneously. Quite straightforward really.

But at the cabinet there is a filter to stop ADSL signals getting through once FTTC is enabled. So it doesn't matter what you have at your home, you need an Openreach engineer to disconnect the FTTC at the cabinet before ADSL will work.

So no point with the Draytek unless you have two lines.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Apr-13 08:49:35
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
OP plans 2 lines.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User tty456
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 15:11:16
Print Post

Hi Dave, take a look at pfsense (http://www.pfsense.org/), it will happily run on an old thin client off ebay and will give you plenty of options for fail-over and load balancing, it can do the PPPoE direct to the BT VDSL modem that will come with your FTTC service and the ADSL via your current router. Currently running exactly that setup at a site and working well.

If you want dumb/simple failover (either/or) then use a router like below that fails over to WAN port (where the Plusnet supplied router would be connected (and then to OR modem)

Stu

Stuart
Standard User LeeEng
(newbie) Thu 25-Apr-13 16:43:39
Print Post

We use the 2850 in exactly your configuration in our office without the openreach modem - VDSL & ADSL directly into the Draytek which works very well on our short line to the cabinet ( approx 20m )
I have the same setup at home - but it would appear the Draytek dosen't like the long line ( approx 800m). The openreach modem gives better speed and stability.

Phil
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 16:50:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
k smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User davsmith
(regular) Fri 26-Apr-13 00:22:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
OP plans 2 lines.

Yes, that's the plan - already have ADSL on my main phone line - getting FTTC on another line - will ask for the new master socket to be put in next to the existing one.

Sounds like Draytek 2850 here I come! Cheers everyone for the helpful comments.
  Print Thread

Jump to