Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sat 27-Apr-13 00:51:26
Print Post

Billion 7800n Regulatory Domain

[link to this post]

I have a Billion 7800n
I was wondering, if I was to change the 'Regulatory Domain' to 'N. America' would this increase the power output for WI-FI thus increasing range or is it not that simple?

I know that my old (BT) 2wire 1800g router from many years ago was able to do this if I changed the Regulatory Domain....

Many thanks.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 27-Apr-13 01:06:45
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800n Regulatory Domain

[re: shaneosborne] [link to this post]

Based on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

The USA's channels are less than 'most of the world', so it might have the opposite effect. Regardless, you can probably only tune to the channels that Wifi transmitters operate on, so my guess is it would have no (good) effect.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Apr-13 01:33:55
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
I was wondering, if I was to change the 'Regulatory Domain' to 'N. America' would this increase the power output for WI-FI thus increasing range or is it not that simple?

You will have three less channels to play with, but if the US 'allows' more power you should get the increase. Yes, it is that simple wink.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sat 27-Apr-13 01:34:47)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Apr-13 10:40:28
Print Post

And if you do increase the power you will be breaking the law and open to prosecution. Simple really.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 27-Apr-13 11:25:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by shaneosborne:
I have a Billion 7800n

I know that my old (BT) 2wire 1800g router from many years ago was able to do this if I changed the Regulatory Domain....

Many thanks.

Strictly speaking you're not allowed to use channels such as 149-161 in Europe, however i've never known anyone to be prosecuted by the wifi police for using non-licenced wifi channels. If you're suffering from congestion on the standard channels, then its definitely worth changing your routers wifi setting to "North America" as your router will transmit at a higher power....but this is useless if your wifi card doesn't support N American channels. For example imy Netgear R6300 router is able to transmit on channel 149 and the Thinkpad laptop with Intel N6300 wifi card can connect to the router. Yet my desktop with an Asus PCE-AC66 pci card can't because it simply doesn't support channels > 13.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 27-Apr-13 11:26:57)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Apr-13 11:40:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

So you are condoning someone breaking the law. How would you like it if I set up a WiFi base station outside your house transmitting at +40dBm?

And yes there have been cases of prosecutions or ones settled before going to court for transmitting power levels in excess of that allowed by law or licence. I was responsible for getting the regulatory authorities involved in one successful case against a large company. The levels are there for a reason.

M H C

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 27-Apr-13 12:02:14
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
So you are condoning someone breaking the law. How would you like it if I set up a WiFi base station outside your house transmitting at +40dBm?

And yes there have been cases of prosecutions or ones settled before going to court for transmitting power levels in excess of that allowed by law or licence. I was responsible for getting the regulatory authorities involved in one successful case against a large company. The levels are there for a reason.

If the regulatory authorities in this country strictly want to stop people using non-licenced wifi channels then this can be very easily achieved....simply FORCE the manufacturers to use a custom (eg for Europe) firmware on their routers which blocks the high powered channels like Asus are currently doing (at least on their wifi cards). To Mr/Mrs Joe Public, as things stand, when they see the North American option on their router, they' might just choose it out of curiosity and bingo! they get a fantastic wifi signal. It should be illegal to own routers which are capable of transmitting high powered channels, then the onus is on the manufacturers not to sell such equipment.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sat 27-Apr-13 12:06:13)

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Apr-13 14:40:38
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
So you are condoning someone breaking the law.

Now you are just being silly. Where were you when it was illegal for London Taxis not to carry a bale of hay for their horse - at the time when all were running on diesel? The law is an ass most of the time

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sat 27-Apr-13 14:44:05)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 27-Apr-13 14:53:09
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Don't you think the levels were defined for a reason?

If they break the law and up the power to interfere with everyone else around, is that acceptable? Maybe to you, but it is breaking the law.

M H C

Standard User shaneosborne
(experienced) Sat 27-Apr-13 14:58:01
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:
To Mr/Mrs Joe Public, as things stand, when they see the North American option on their router, they' might just choose it out of curiosity and bingo! they get a fantastic wifi signal. It should be illegal to own routers which are capable of transmitting high powered channels, then the onus is on the manufacturers not to sell such equipment.

Unfortunatly ignorance of the law is no defence frown
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to