Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User melb
(newbie) Tue 30-Apr-13 12:08:33
Print Post

Fritz!Box 7360 - No CLI !!

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone,

I have a 7360 - I think it's the same as the 7390 but without the ISDN features.

I cannot get any Caller information - the Fritz!Box just doesn't get it, so ALL analogue calls are logged as "Caller Unknown". ( CLI on SIP calls works fine, but that's very different of course ).

So far, I've tried:-
1. Two phone lines. One that came with the new FTTC line, and the other one is an extension on the regular house phone. I haven't got CLI off either. Of course, I know that both are CLI enabled by BT, because both my regular Panasonic and an old DBTEL DECT phones work OK.
2. Disconnect the LAN output and remove the USB connections from the Fritz!Box. So, it should therefore just be operating as a PBX. The Fritz!box website said do this to avoid any possible interference from attachments.
3. Tried what was recommended in a previous post, which was putting two ADSL filters in serial onto the analogue line - the annex A/B issue. But, again, no joy.
4. Upgraded to the latest firmware 05.51

I can't believe I've got two below spec, poor quality lines - the type that avm say causes CLI problems!

Sorry about being so long winded, but any ideas please?

Is there any undocumented debug mode?

CLI must be working on Fritz!Boxes in the UK, or else there's a serious issue.

Mel
Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Tue 30-Apr-13 12:35:11
Print Post

Re: Fritz!Box 7360 - No CLI !!

[re: melb] [link to this post]

On my earlier model the CLI works fine on all lines, though using certain dect phones paired to the FB it would not display the CLI so I bought the AVM dect units and they work fine,also the dect on the analog ports work OK with CLI
Standard User melb
(newbie) Wed 01-May-13 09:43:03
Print Post

[re: boranatty] [link to this post]

Thanks for the comment - it's useful to know it does work and I need to perservere. I may need to go back to an old firmware!

I didn't mention it, but I have the Fritz!Fon phones as well. They have the same problem with analogue lines. That's because the real fault is back at the CLI handshaking stage - the call logs show where CLIP is working ( SIP calls ) and what's not ( Analogue calls ).

My next try is to see if a support call will help - frankly, I'm not optimistic because the stories about the support are pretty negative. Good product, shame about the support seems to be the view. Anyway, I'll give it a go....

Mel

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User boranatty
(newbie) Wed 01-May-13 10:02:31
Print Post

I have called them a couple of times in the past and I did find them very helpful,is yours a BT line,mine is though a older box than yours and it works fine,have you got the settings in the box set to UK, it is under telephony and regional options
Standard User lexden16
(member) Wed 01-May-13 10:40:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by melb:
My next try is to see if a support call will help - frankly, I'm not optimistic because the stories about the support are pretty negative. Good product, shame about the support seems to be the view. Anyway, I'll give it a go....

Mel

I have had a 7390 for over 2 years and I have always found AVM support to be friendly and helpful - even to the point of a speedy decision to replace my original box a couple of months ago. I am on a FTTC connection and I have 3 Fritz!Fon MT-Fs. I get CLI on about 75% of calls and I get a phantom call about once a week. Like many, I have raised both these issues with AVM and their response has been 'that the issues are under investigation'.

The problem for us in the UK, and Australia where the 7390 is very popular, is that the firmware is designed for Germany and its non-pstn telephone system. My guess is that there is no simple solution ( as far as AVM is concerned) to both the CLI and phantom call problems. Moreover, if you read the AVM thread at whirlpool.net.au you will see that many users have no issues at all; whereas, others do.
Standard User melb
(newbie) Fri 03-May-13 15:47:54
Print Post

Re: Fritz!Box 7360 - No CLI !! *DELETED*

Post deleted by melb
Standard User melb
(newbie) Fri 03-May-13 15:52:59
Print Post

Fritz!Box 7360 - No CLI - "Not our fault" reply from avm

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Got the expected reply from avm:-
This is no error of the FRITZ!Box but is caused by the insufficient signal quality of your landline extension.

and, I should prove it by going to another location, neighbour.... ! Oh yeah!!

There was no attempt to engage in a diagnosis of what's wrong - it's as clear as black and white that it's BT's fault! Looks like a Cut and Paste of their Knowledgebase!

So, that's that then. All is well in the world of Fritz. I would be much happier if they said something like ".. we have no resources to investigate ( / solve ) this long running issue ", or even ".. our development activities are in newer technologies.. " , but no, it's the old chestnut of "it's BT's fault". Other companies manage to get BT's CLI to work in 99.99% of the cases, but not avm! I suppose that the problem is they would have to change all their advertising claims, and get a flood of returns, if they admitted they had a problem.

Anyway, I think I'll do the workaround as detailed on the excellent Australian whirlpool site, which is to call divert all analogue calls to a SIP account. CLI on SIP works fine. It means investing in a Free Anytime Call plan ( £4pm ), and that has to be factored in to the cost of a Fritz!Box in the UK.

Mel
Standard User Al1264
(regular) Wed 08-May-13 10:31:37
Print Post

Re: Fritz!Box 7360 - No CLI - "Not our fault" reply from avm

This has long been a 'known issue' on the 7390 (but always denied by AVM), mine does give CLI from my landline but not all the time (I still have a standard DECT phone plugged in because of this). The last firmware update (many months back now) did improve things but CLI remains a bit flaky at times.
Standard User smurf46
(member) Wed 08-May-13 11:36:46
Print Post

Re: Fritz!Box 7360 - No CLI - "Not our fault" reply from avm

I've used the SIP diversion workaround for a couple of years successfully; it also gets rid of the phantom calls, which aren't diverted. There is a new firmware available since the end of last month for the 7390.

But seriously, if the unit meets BT's published SIN standards what more do you expect them to do? It should work but doesn't on some lines, including mine where I've always got no analogue CLI at all, but I do on SIP diverted calls. With CLI the call management function is brilliant, and saves the cost of additional expensive hardware to do the same job.

When you find anything that's always perfect in this world, let me know. Then I'll know I've died and gone to the right place . . . Meanwhile perhaps someone could build or modify a custom router/modem/PABX specifically for your line, at what cost I don't know.

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User melb
(newbie) Mon 30-Dec-13 11:09:10
Print Post

Re: Fritz!Box 7360 - No CLI !! - UPDATE Dec 2013 - GOOD NEWS

VERY GOOD NEWS folks

After 06.01 firmware update last week - CLI in the UK now works!!

Previous firmware was 05.01. I haven't changed anything over the past eight months, apart from the simple settings, ie telephone numbers, connections..... So I assume that a software modification fixed the fault - there hasn't been a system reset, and all the previous settings were carried forward on the firmware upgrade.

The 7360 is now a pretty goddam good bit of kit that does everything advertised.

Cheers

Mel.
  Print Thread

Jump to