Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 06-May-13 14:33:20
Print Post

Weak port on Billion 7800N?

[link to this post]

I was doing some cleaning under my desk and unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of my router.

Plugged it back in to what turned out to be a different port on the router and went on with using the PC.

Later on I went to get a drink and on coming back I noticed an LED on the motherboard of the machine (which has a side window and unused fan grills on the top of the case) which was usually green had turned Orange.

I reached for the motherboard manual (it's a Gigabyte H61MA-D2V) to find out what the light meant in case it was some kind of diagnostic indicator.

Absolutely no detail in there.

Rebooted and the machine passed POST and loaded windows 7 as usual, light still orange so I left it and went to bed

Came back today and again still an Orange light, determined it was an Ethernet link light by disconnecting the cable and the light went out, by a process of elimination it appears that, like on routers the colour indicates the link speed (Orange = 1 Gbps Green = 10/100 Mbps)

To cut a long story short I tried all four Ethernet ports on the router (and no it wasn't plugged into the EWAN port) and all connected at 1 Gbps apart from port 3.

Its running the latest firmware and I reset it to factory defaults, but this did not fix the issue, anyone else had a similar issue with this device?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Router: Billion 7800N
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Mon 06-May-13 14:36:05
Print Post

Re: Weak port on Billion 7800N?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

I've never had a problem like that.

Have a look into Port 3 and see if all of the pins/contacts are intact.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed: 22494 kbps 1211 kbps
Line Attenuation: 16.0 db 9.7 db
Noise Margin: 2.6 db 6.7 db

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448Kbps on 20CN Alcatel DSLAM -> 22494/1211Kbps on 21CN Huawei MSAN
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 06-May-13 15:00:46
Print Post

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

All look present and correct.

Had it been consistent across all the ports I'd have replaced the cable, going to try a firmware downgrade and see what happens.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola => Vivaciti (using O2 Wholesale DSL) => Xilo (C&W Wholesale) => Xilo (O2 Wholesale)
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 06-May-13 15:12:24
Print Post

No joy, looks like a hardware fault.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Mon 06-May-13 17:17:59
Print Post

As the device is only two months old I raised the issue with Amazon and a replacement unit is on its way to me.

Standard User techguy
(experienced) Wed 08-May-13 19:16:58
Print Post

replacement router received and installed and all ports working at 1 Gbps

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 08-May-13 19:30:18
Print Post

smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 08-May-13 21:22:01
Print Post

/joking/
was the first one 'fortnight' - aka 2 week
/-joking/
Standard User techguy
(experienced) Wed 08-May-13 21:36:40
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ggremlin:
/joking/
was the first one 'fortnight' - aka 2 week
/-joking/

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear

smile

Standard User Irby
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jun-13 19:11:59
Print Post

My 7800n has just developed the same problem, port3 not functioning. Mine is well out of warranty though.

Migrating to Be
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to