Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Neilski
(newbie) Sun 12-May-13 10:05:46
Print Post

Dual Feed and Dual Band Router/Wireless Access Point

[link to this post]

I have two ADSL circuits presented at the premises. These are not bonded, but two separate circuits from two separate suppliers. The reason for this is to provide some service resilience (I run a small business from home).

Currently these are handled by a Draytek Vigor 2850n (with one line presented to the router via a Vigor 120 Cable Modem).

This works well enough, but I now have a need for a Dual Band (concurrent) wireless network, so my options are:

1) Replace the Vigors with a single router that will support dual-feed/dual-band, or...

2) Turn off the wireless capabilities of the Vigor 2850n and add a dual-band Wireless Access Point to the network.

Option #1 would probably be my preferred route (sic).

I have spent hours looking at manufacturers' web sites and I cannot find any (obvious) products that would suit my requirements, at least not within my budget of sub £300. Please note, I have a need to service both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz concurrently.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-May-13 11:10:09
Print Post

Re: Dual Feed and Dual Band Router/Wireless Access Point

[re: Neilski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Neilski:
I have spent hours looking at manufacturers' web sites and I cannot find any (obvious) products that would suit my requirements, at least not within my budget of sub £300. Please note, I have a need to service both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz concurrently.

For your option 2 you could get an ASUS RT-N66U and set it to Access Point mode.

I don't know of any dual-feed routers other than the Draytek range and they still aren't dual band frown

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 12-May-13 21:39:02
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

+1 for the Asus N66U

It's wireless performance is stunning. I have been able to retire my 2.4GHz repeater as the signal is so good. I'd advise the Merlin firmware. One small thing, avoid the latest Asus and Merlin beta builds. The new firmware's wireless driver has issues on 5GHz and as it is closed source, a fix from Asus is awaited.

Lots of Asus stuff here to help you decide http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/forumdisplay.php?f...

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Sun 12-May-13 21:39:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Neilski
(newbie) Mon 13-May-13 08:32:28
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Thank you for your advice. Is it possible then to configure the ASUS RT-N66U as 'just' a Wireless Access Point and simply hang it off the existing wired network?
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 13-May-13 19:39:05
Print Post

[re: Neilski] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Neilski:
Thank you for your advice. Is it possible then to configure the ASUS RT-N66U as 'just' a Wireless Access Point and simply hang it off the existing wired network?

Yes, its in the software, under "Administration" and the option is called "operation mode" either of:
* wireless router
* access point

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User Neilski
(newbie) Mon 13-May-13 21:17:37
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for your help and advice - it's on order!
  Print Thread

Jump to