Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User d3fin3d
(committed) Thu 23-May-13 09:45:25
Print Post

About to get Plusnet FTTC - Modem/router recommendations?

[link to this post]

I'm about to get Plusnets FTTC 80mb/20mb installed, however having read up on the supplied modem ( Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router) it appears as if this is a fairly bog standard and often troublesome device. There seems to be a consistent issue with WiFi speed and connectivity.

Considering my setup, I'd preferably like a router/modem device with a strong and stable wireless signal.

I currently have a few computers running, 3 of which are wireless and one, my main computer, is wired to the router/modem.

One of the computers, a Macbook Pro is roughly 12 meters away from me (and the router/modem) and directly in between is an eletrical box which I believe is severely disrupting the wireless signal somehow.

My current connection is 12mb/700k and my router is a Linksys WAG320N. While I can happily download at 1.1mb, the Macbook struggles to reach 200k. When I walk towards the router/modem and past the electrical box, speeds shoot up to 1.1mb.

So, it would be great if I could get some recommendations for an upgraded router/modem with a stable Wifi and so I can utilise the full 80mb/20mb (predicted) throughout my house.
Standard User zom22
(newbie) Thu 23-May-13 10:27:39
Print Post

Re: About to get Plusnet FTTC - Modem/router recommendations

[re: d3fin3d] [link to this post]

On a technical note the modem and router in FTTC installations are separate items

Plusnet supply the ROUTER part only - indeed the model you say
The MODEM is supplied by and remains the property of BTOR
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-May-13 07:58:44
Print Post

[re: d3fin3d] [link to this post]

If your Mac is new enough, consider a router with both 2.4 GHz (normal) and 5 GHz WiFi.

Such as the ASUS RT-N66U.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User andyswain
(member) Tue 08-Oct-13 23:25:15
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
If your Mac is new enough, consider a router with both 2.4 GHz (normal) and 5 GHz WiFi.

Such as the ASUS RT-N66U.

Can I ask what about the Asus DSL-N55U at £89 down from £129?
And if it does it have to be the ASUS RT-N66U at various prices depending on the specs? As there is differing spec versions? And range in price from £105 to about £160 and for the same ASUS RT-N66Uwit the differing specs that is?
The other thing is I had thought about getting the Asus EA-N66 Wireless Gigabit Ethernet Adapter For £64 to boost the WiFi? Has any one tried one?

Iv sorted out a deal with Plus.net for the fibre service and am going to pay the line charge up from. But before I get the work started and order fibre I want to be able to have a router inplace that I can use instead of the supplied one

Regards Andy

On a off topic note I want to get a decent 2-4Tb NAS to go with my system and to stand alongside the router . I had better open another thread for this though .

DSL and having a Slow experance at the moment frown
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 08-Oct-13 23:33:40
Print Post

[re: andyswain] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by andyswain:
Can I ask what about the Asus DSL-N55U
I suspect the 'DSL' stands for 'ADSL' and therefore incorporates an ADSL modem, not suitable for fibre which needs a 'cable' router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to