Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kirbett
(newbie) Thu 30-May-13 12:35:44
Print Post

Seeking a simple ADSL router with decent logging

[link to this post]

I'm looking for a fairly straightforward ADSL2 / ADSL2+ router/modem. Since I spent some time recently trying to identify and isolate what turned out to be an external telephone line problem (since fixed by BT), I'm looking for a router/modem which has a useful diagnostic log which can at least give me a record of when drop-outs have occurred.

Until recently, I have been using a Buffalo WBMR-G125, but this has started to be unreliable, losing connection almost daily. And I have generally found its diagnostic log to be pretty much useless, with minimal content, clearing after every reconnect, and no way of telling how long a connection has been up for. I am now using an older BT 2100 Voyager - ADSL1 - which has no diagnostic log that I can find, but it at least reports how long the connection has been up for (currently over 9 days so far).

Apart from a reasonable logging facility, all I require is a solid, reliable, disinclined-to-overheat ADSL2 / ADSL2+ router modem. Wireless is optional, since I rarely use that and have a repeater for that purpose should I need it.

Any suggestions folks?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 30-May-13 13:17:18
Print Post

Re: Seeking a simple ADSL router with decent logging

[re: Kirbett] [link to this post]

Get a 2Wire2700HGV version6 - the BT business router until recently.

A copy of the page which shows the various data that is stored - for 20 events. Image Here

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User bob_lucas
(newbie) Thu 30-May-13 15:00:05
Print Post

I have just replaced a Huawei EchoLife HG520b wireless router, which was dropping its ADSL connection two or three times daily. The replacement is a TP-Link TD-W8961ND ADSL 2+ wireless router, which was very keenly priced at my local Tesco Extra supermarket.

During the past seven days, there have been no dropouts whatsoever.

The logs aren't brilliant. I have pasted extracts below:

System log

5/30/2013 14:45:7> Last errorlog repeat 14 Times
5/30/2013 14:45:10> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0
5/30/2013 14:45:50> Last errorlog repeat 11 Times
5/30/2013 14:45:54> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0
5/30/2013 14:46:31> Last errorlog repeat 19 Times
5/30/2013 14:46:31> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0
5/30/2013 14:46:46> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0
5/30/2013 14:47:10> Last errorlog repeat 14 Times
5/30/2013 14:47:35> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0
5/30/2013 14:47:42> Last errorlog repeat 8 Times
5/30/2013 14:47:42> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0
5/30/2013 14:47:42> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0
5/30/2013 14:48:22> Last errorlog repeat 7 Times
5/30/2013 14:48:27> netMakeChannDial: err=-3000 rn_p=805509a0

Apart from the logs, I am very happy with performance and reliability. I perform a speed test daily, and I can access the results via my Thinkbroadband profile - which confirms that the IP address hasn't changed at all within the last week.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 11:55:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Kirbett:
I'm looking for a fairly straightforward ADSL2 / ADSL2+ router/modem. Apart from a reasonable logging facility, all I require is a solid, reliable, disinclined-to-overheat ADSL2 / ADSL2+ router modem. Wireless is optional, since I rarely use that and have a repeater for that purpose should I need it.

Any suggestions folks?
If your connection is suffering from dropouts, get the BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV wireless router. It is a good solid reliable ADSL2 / ADSL2+ router on a long line, the router has detailed event logs under a special (Management and Diagnostic Console) hidden page 192.168.1.254/mdc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m5...

http://support.2wire.com/index.php?page=download

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User Kirbett
(newbie) Tue 04-Jun-13 14:50:43
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

The 2Wire2700HGV sounds very attractive. However, reading up about it on the web (primarily Tripod's page), it sounds like it could be non-trivial to set up. For a start, there "may" be a need for an ISP-supplied key-code, although Tripod does seem to list some suitable such codes. More significantly, it's suggested that the device is (or could be) supplied LOCKED to BT Business Broadband, and would need flashing to unlock it (with V6 possibly harder to unlock than V5?). The flash required seems to be dependent on the firmware installed, and I'm not sure if it's possible to tell this from the ebay ads (which I assume are effectively the only supplier). As a newbie, the idea of flashing a device such as this and the consequent risk of bricking it daunts me somewhat, but given that it doesn't seem to cost much more than a brick anyway, maybe I shouldn't be particularly worried.

Also, if I do muck it up, is there any risk that I might also muck up either my internet connection or any of my locally-attached PCs? I did find that when my Buffalo router played up, one of my Windows 7 machines kept getting confused about its own network settings, requiring a System Restore each time to get it back to talking to the internet again.

Finally, since the "formal" support only seems to extend to an Installation guide and a User Guide, am I right in thinking that I will be dependent on hunting the web (via Tripod or whoever) for flash code / CD setup software or whatever? Is Tripod the best source for such material or is there a better site for 2Wire2700HGV support?

Or is it, in fact, all quite straightforward and very much simpler than I have perceived ....?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 04-Jun-13 19:20:59
Print Post

It is easy and straight forward ... I have done quite a few and the Tripod site is fine. Ask the seller for the serial number and there is a list which will tell you which is which - you need a V5 or V6. Some of the later ones have been used on other ISPs without any problems or reflashing too.

For £5 or so, you can afford to take a chance - see what happens with just one PC - it will not adversely affect your line or set up and if you get it wrong, just put your old router back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-13 11:21:18
Print Post

The BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV wireless router has three hardware versions it is renowned for staying connected and hanging onto a long line, it really is a fabulous router!

I have two BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV wireless routerís the hardware version 1 and hardware version 2, bought them on ebay brand new boxed and sealed. The hardware version 1 is rare as henís teeth now. Any hardware version 2 with version 5 firmware should do the job for you.

The router will easily configure with the javascript method.

I use BT key code 528Y-27G4-A222-22BJ-B22V

Use the Javascript Save Method to save your ISP settings Do Not Click SAVE...

javascript:document.pagepost.submit()

Router configuration instructions http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/031.htm

I had to configure the router twice to get it to connect to my ISP Note: (Do not use the CD supplied).

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 13377 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
  Print Thread

Jump to