Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CaptainJack
(member) Tue 11-Jun-13 14:52:03
Print Post

Which router for Vivaciti?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I would like to sign up for Vivaciti but understand that they don't supply a router. So... which router do I go for?

Initially, my connection will be on a 20CN network but in November the exchange is being upgraded to 21CN, which should give me decent speeds being only half a km away from the exchange.

I have an old Solwise SAR110 router but that will not work with 21CN but can use it in the interim I guess. I also have a DLink 615 router with DD-WRT software loaded on it but at the moment it's only being used as a switch to my Be Technicolor (Thomson) modem. So, really, any modem would suffice as I can just use the DD-WRT for firewall and wireless duties.

I see that BT's 2wire 2700 comes relatively recommended and it's very cheap but does require some messing about to get it working with non-BT ISPs. Other old candidates include Netgear DG834...

Any others?

Cheers
Alex

----
Be Internet ~13.5 Mbit

Edited by CaptainJack (Tue 11-Jun-13 14:53:06)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Tue 11-Jun-13 15:29:43
Print Post

Re: Which router for Vivaciti?

[re: CaptainJack] [link to this post]

I'm a fan of the old ST585v6 - works well on my line. I also have a 2Wire which I like, but doesn't perform as well as the Thomson.

But as you're so close to the exchange you should find any old router will work well!
You can just pick a router that's got the options you want like type of wifi etc.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jun-13 19:43:28
Print Post

[re: CaptainJack] [link to this post]

I'm using a Billion 7800 on a Vivaciti line, nice and stable, even when tweaked and have a speedtouch 546 v6 as backup.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Tue 11-Jun-13 23:29:35
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Wow, that's an expensive router. Never heard of this make/model before..

----
Be Internet ~13.5 Mbit
(member) Tue 11-Jun-13 23:30:08
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Ah yes, those Speed Touches were good back in the day - I guess they are still good now!

----
Be Internet ~13.5 Mbit
  Print Thread

Jump to