Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User astateoftrance
(regular) Wed 12-Jun-13 11:44:49
Print Post

New router/modem advice

[link to this post]

Hi there, I am looking for advice on what ADSL modem/router to get. I am currently using a Netgear DG834G 54mbps so I think it is long over due. Need something for online gaming, media streaming and which has parental controls.

I was looking at the ASUS DSL-N55U or the TP-Link TD-W8980 N600. Any other recommendations ? My max budget is £100 but less would be better.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Jun-13 13:48:17
Print Post

Re: New router/modem advice

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

The Netgear 834G should be handling your ADSL or ADSL2+ with no problem. The 54Mbps you quote is the wireless speed which should also be plenty for ADSL/ADSL2+.

It would be useful if you could post the line stats from the Netgear so we can see what your connection figures are. We need the sync/connection/bandwidth speed, attenuation and noise margin values both down and up smile. It could be you just have a poor line.
Edit - typo.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 12-Jun-13 15:32:14)

(regular) Wed 12-Jun-13 15:18:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply RobertoS. Sorry I didn't make it clear in my post I was talking about streaming media locally not from the internet that I was having issues with, also the wifi signal is not great in some parts of the house and it doesn't have any parental control options.
As a modem I have no problem with it at all, I have tried several ISP provided modem/routers over the years but always gone back to this Netgear as its been much better.

Would it be a option to keep this Netgear but use it only as a modem and then buy a router to attach to it?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 12-Jun-13 15:35:34
Print Post

I would get a additional WAP (Wireless Access Point) and connect that by Ethernet to the Netgear. Preferably quite a way away. Then you can use whichever wireless source is better where you are at the time. Properly set up you can even move around like you can with a mobile phone between masts.

I don't know about parental control options sorry.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 12-Jun-13 15:36:24)

(regular) Wed 12-Jun-13 16:09:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

That seems like a good solution. Do you have any recommendations for a WAP ? I like the look of the ASUS RT-N56U but it's £79.99 so I will look around first to see if there is anything cheaper that will fit my needs.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 12-Jun-13 20:44:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
That seems like a good solution. Do you have any recommendations for a WAP ? I like the look of the ASUS RT-N56U but it's £79.99 so I will look around first to see if there is anything cheaper that will fit my needs.

You might however prefer an all in one router that uses the N protocol with multiple antennas. These give significantly faster throughput than the old G protocol, and coverage due to the multiple antennas.

PCPro magazine did a comparison review, and they likd the RT-N56U for ADSL users. ThinkBroadband even reviewed the other model the 55U here: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/78-as...

If you want best performance, ensure both your PCs and your router support 3 stream N, and you have both 2.4 and 5 GHz support in the router. (I bought an ASUS RT-N66U which has that support but no ADSL modem).

The 5 GHz support is good for same room (and depending on your home, next door rooms) as it avoids interference from neighbours slowing down your transmissions. For example I have 45megabit FTTC, and I get full speed on 5 GHz, but often slowed down to 20meg or slower on the 2.4 GHz in the evenings when the neighbours are using their WiFi.

Good luck.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 19:11:54
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks. Yes I am tempted to get that Asus router, looks like it will do everything I need (and much more) but still would like a cheaper option. Will a Cable router work fine also?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 13-Jun-13 19:56:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
Will a Cable router work fine also?

Not with an ADSL service unless you buy an ADSL modem, or you are able to set up an existing box in bridge mode (unlikely).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 20:01:32
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

The plan is to follow RobertoS advice and keep my current Netgear modem/router then connect a new router to it by ethernet cable. so in that setup would a Cable router be Ok ?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 13-Jun-13 20:09:49
Print Post

Yes, it would be acting as an access point not as a router.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to