Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dehavillandrfc
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-13 12:16:51
Print Post

Best wireless fibre router

[link to this post]

Any advice on which wireless router to get? Recently moved to PlusNet unlimited fibre - which is going well by the way - and wondered about getting a router with a little more wireless throughput.

Currently using a Billion 7800n but this has no 5 Ghz capability.

In the house we have: 1 television, a Squeezebox Touch, Sky on demand box, PS3, 2 laptops, 2 iPads and various smart phones all with wireless access. Oh and 1 wired desktop.

Good coverage is essential as prior to the Billion had quite a dead spot in my home office upstairs.

Thanks.

PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 12:20:10
Print Post

Re: Best wireless fibre router

[re: dehavillandrfc] [link to this post]

You need to buy a top end 802.11ac router, not only does this give you ac wifi, it also gives you excellent coverage on 802.11 b/g/n wifi due to the hi powered transmitters found in ac routers. I'm using the Netgear R6300 and its amazing,,,excellent wifi coverage on all bands. Other highly rated ac routers include Linksys EA6500 and Asus RT-AC66U...you won't be disappointed with any of these smile

Have a look at the Netgear R6300 reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B008KX64OK/r...

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 13:51:00
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

Are there any particular requirements that make a router better for a fibre connection rather than for a non-fibre connection?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Mon 17-Jun-13 14:31:11
Print Post

[re: gomezz] [link to this post]

Not really, a top end router will work just as well on adsl or cable as it will on fibre. Obviously using a standalone router on adsl requires a pppoa>pppoe bridge modem as well. I'm using a draytek vigor 120v2 connected to the netgear R6300 and everything works flawlessly smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220

Edited by baby_frogmella (Mon 17-Jun-13 14:33:21)

Standard User dehavillandrfc
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-13 14:34:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by gomezz:
Are there any particular requirements that make a router better for a fibre connection rather than for a non-fibre connection?

Umm, they support an EWAN connection from an OR/Virgin modem? And because there is more bandwidth available the router needs to be able support well a significant number of simultaneous wireless streams: video downloads, p2p video, gaming and so on.

Yes?

PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Jun-13 22:00:35
Print Post

[re: dehavillandrfc] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dehavillandrfc:
Umm, they support an EWAN connection from an OR/Virgin modem? And because there is more bandwidth available the router needs to be able support well a significant number of simultaneous wireless streams: video downloads, p2p video, gaming and so on.

And have a sufficiently fast CPU to not screw up 80megabit or faster WAN speeds. Most olde ADSL2/cable router vintage have problems over 30meg.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Jun-13 09:49:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

But I thought all domestic routers were rated to run at 100Mbps? Or is that only LAN-side?

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 18-Jun-13 10:30:19
Print Post

The 100BaseTX is the speed of the switch (many are Gigabit switches these days) but to drive the WAN connection at the full speed (up to approx 80Mb/s) requires a routed throughput of at least 80Mb/s.

Old style ADSL routers generally struggle at this. Note that this has nothing to do with the wireless speed or the LAN speed - this isnt using the routing features.

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Jun-13 17:55:08
Print Post

Just to add to what greenglide says, what we commonly call a router is usually an ADSL router, which contains least three (logical) pieces of kit in one box: modem, router and Ethernet switch. A fourth possible component is a wireless access point.

It's the router part he is talking about.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Jun-13 19:19:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by gomezz:
But I thought all domestic routers were rated to run at 100Mbps? Or is that only LAN-side?

My ASUS has 4 ethernet ports that run at 1000 megabit/sec (Gigabit).

Also this site reports my router can handle 400megabit/sec from WAN to LAN, along with others:
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/bar

However as we know from a poster in the fibre forum, not all routers can do that speed with the PPPoE protocol required by BT wholesale. One forum poster in the Fibre forum was trying to find a router that could keep up with 300megabit FTTP services, pretty much all routers couldn't do it once PPPoE was required.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to