Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Snaff13s
(newbie) Thu 27-Jun-13 00:00:51
Print Post

New Modem Router

[link to this post]

Due to recent failure, back using the old Speedtouch ST585.
I have an old 3 floor stone wall house. Main phone socket on ground floor, computer currently wired to ST585 via an extension on first floor, as figure wired via a (probably poor quality wire) extension is better than wireless from the floor below, given the equipment. Wireless use now for occasional laptop and mobiles. Area only has max 8MB line at present (rural location) but I'm only 50yards from the exchange. Most usage web browsing and some gaming.
Advice on upgrading the equipment, please. No point getting all the bells and whistles kit given the line restrictions, just something fit for purpose and some install advice.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 30-Jun-13 12:51:30
Print Post

Re: New Modem Router

[re: Snaff13s] [link to this post]

1) How is the ST585 working?

2) What did you have before?

3) Which was the better?

I am surprised that you think your line has restrictions. Considering you are so close to the exchange you probably have a much better line (high SNRM - a good thing when synching at max) than you need, just like my parents wink.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Snaff13s
(newbie) Mon 01-Jul-13 17:35:24
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

1. Mostly fine, but experience the odd drop of connection. When it was connected to the main phone socket on the ground floor the wireless signal was two bars, again the odd drop of connection.
2. BT home hub series 2 from by BT days, 'fixed' for non-BT ISP smile
Wireless seemed stronger and few drop-outs.
3. BT due to fewer drop-out connections.
Line depends on time of the day, even this close. 3-4 Mb during the evening although one respected speedchecker did give me a score of 8.6 the other day !

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Jul-13 19:16:20
Print Post

[re: Snaff13s] [link to this post]

That sounds like a poor line. Your drop outs could be due to your line.

I got an Asus N66U router, brobably more than you want to pay, but its Wi-Fi is so good, I was able to get rid of the repeater I had to use with the last one. Not only that, but the furthest computer gets a much better signal now too.

My parents are close to their exchange - not as close as you are to yours. They sync at a rock solid 8Mb - the max, and their line is so good it has an SNRM of (IIRC) about 20dB; at least it is well above 6.

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User Snaff13s
(newbie) Wed 03-Jul-13 21:12:54
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Thanks for that - it made me think about what I'm trying to achieve.
Replacement kit = source of the problem - just jumped to the conclusion without thinking it through.
I've done a few days of router stats to look at the line etc
Bandwidth up/down 448/8096
Line Attenuation up/down 1.0/3.0
SN Margin up/down 22.0/9.0 with 2 or 3 zero spikes in the last 6 hours.
Looks like the old ST is doing it's best.
  Print Thread

Jump to