Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User daglesj
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 12:08:09
Print Post

Draytek 2710Vn lit like a xmas tree/disco

[link to this post]

Hmmm hi folks, bit of a puzzler here.

Had my 2710Vn for a couple of years or more (maybe 3) and its given great service. I regularly upgrade the firmware etc. and have had no issues.

Until recently....

Basically I noticed that nearly all the lights on my router are flashing on and off. I don't remember it doing that. Just the usual ADSL/Ethernet lights would flash. The VOIP lights are all flashing (no phone connected and its all switched off where possible). The WPS light is flashing but its switched off. It looks like I'm running a World of Warcraft server with the activity going on.

Now I've reflashed firmware, hard reset, etc. etc. to no avail. Everything works perfectly, just the lights are going crazy. Strobing and random flashes. Left it unplugged for a weekend, same result.

No one unwanted is on the router as its locked down and the routing tables etc. are all as they should be.

Its bizarre.

Any suggestions? Is it the router heading for the graveyard?

Firmware Version : 3.6.3.2_232201
Build Date/Time : Apr 25 2013 19:21:48
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A
Standard User babis3g
(learned) Mon 08-Jul-13 12:39:56
Print Post

Re: Draytek 2710Vn lit like a xmas tree/disco

[re: daglesj] [link to this post]

Something must happened & the 2710 must corrupted
You need to reflash it via the following method with each step in order

-Use the firmware update tool "Firmware Upgrade Utility Tool V.3.6.5 " at the bottom of the page (open it unzip it)
http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads.html
-Use the latest firmware but with *RST* file
-Use wired ehternet cable (not via wifi)
-Turn off the 2710
-Turn Off the firewall at pc

-Open the firmware tool
-Now type at router IP 192.168.1.1
-Load the *RST* file Not *all*
-If ask for password type the current one or try admin or leave it blank if you get time outs

While the 2710 is turned off ... press & hold the reset button ... while with the reset button is keep pressing it (softly) ... turn the power on...
Now few leds will flashing fast

Go back to firmware update tool (which is all ready stand by) and press the send button while the leds at draytek are still flashing fast
You need to wait till you see massage "router is active now"
If all ok then if you have back it up before can use the back up file if you use same firmware with the tool

If you have not understand my post please ask again because if mistake again can cost more issues to the boot loader

Good luck

Edited by babis3g (Mon 08-Jul-13 12:51:12)

Standard User daglesj
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 13:11:13
Print Post

[re: babis3g] [link to this post]

Done pretty much 95% of that already (RST instead of ALL etc.etc. ). I think I'll leave it as it is.

Thanks for getting back however.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User babis3g
(regular) Mon 08-Jul-13 13:16:11
Print Post

Sorry if i understand well did not worked setting with TFTP mode as mentioned & the firmware tool?

Edited by babis3g (Mon 08-Jul-13 13:17:28)

Standard User daglesj
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 13:41:03
Print Post

[re: babis3g] [link to this post]

Used/done everything but didnt use the update tool.
Standard User daglesj
(newbie) Sun 28-Jul-13 12:41:59
Print Post

Okay, update. Tried it all again as quoted and still xmas tree style.

Another point is that for the past 3-4 months been having great problems updating my Nexus 4 over wi-fi from the Draytek. Browsing etc, was fine for all devices over wi-fi, just updates were not working (package file invalid).

So I switched in an old BT router yesterday and all the updates work just fine. It looks like the Draytek is failing.

So I've ordered a dual band TP-Link to replace it. Ah well it was fun while it lasted.
Standard User daglesj
(newbie) Tue 30-Jul-13 18:17:10
Print Post

Ahhh bliss!

The W8980 turned up to day and its all setup. Lovely! No more Android update errors, no more Chromebook dropping out.

Makes such a difference having a nice stable setup again. 5Ghz is nice for all the new gear in the flat especially as no one in my area is using it.

I think basically I flashed my Draytek to death. I used to put any new firmware on it I could find. Must have flashed it 20+ times.
  Print Thread

Jump to