Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Aug-13 15:44:51
Print Post

Devolo dLan 500 plugs - wifi?

[link to this post]

I want to disable the wifi broadcast from these and just use the Ethernet function. I know this is possible, but can someone tell me how please?
Even though I have switched off wifi from the router ( VM Superhub in this case) the plugs are still broadcasting a signal from their own network name (devoloxxxxx), so how can that happen?) As you can see, I'm new to this technology. It's for a friend's conservatory so he only needs the base plug in the hallway next to the hub and one other at the other side of the house, which gets a rotten wifi signal.
I've got the Ethernet working fine (55Mbs from a nominal 120 connection, so not bad). Just annoyed I can't zap the wifi broadcast from the plugs. Obviously, I want to turn wireless back on at the hub when I've disabled it at the plugs.

Dell Studio1558 with Win7 Home Premium
8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User jecop
(newbie) Fri 16-Aug-13 15:57:40
Print Post

Re: Devolo dLan 500 plugs - wifi?

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

read the manual? Google for devolo dlan 500 manual finds this:
http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-500-av-wireles...

p45 seems to provide your answer
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Aug-13 17:36:37
Print Post

Re: Devolo dLan 500 plugs - What Speed do you get

Hi,

what speed are you getting using these devices. I assume you have fibre? I have the 200AV version and they top out at 22-25M download but run the 10M upload. Just wondering if to spend the extra £100 to kit the house out with these.

IanD

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Aug-13 18:03:52
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/70-de...

Info on how the 500 perform compared to 200 units

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Aug-13 18:19:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Now why did I not remember the testing work you did between the different power line units.

Looks like can go from 20M to 40M, which matches the FTTC speed I have.

IanD
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Aug-13 06:00:04
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it is a VM 120Mbs cable connection. I got 55Mbs in one test but nearer 45 after that. The wiring is all brand new in this house, which might explain it. I have looked at the online manuals of course before I posted, but I can only find one referring to an on/off switch for the wifi on the main unit. Mine is the basic starter kit with one sender and one plug (no on/off switch). Back to my other question - if I've turned off wifi from the hub (lights confirm this - now just one blue one) how come the plugs are giving me a 'devolo' network with a good signal?
If anyone has a link to a manual for this kit I'd appreciate it.

8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Aug-13 08:07:05
Print Post

Found it! Open the Network Center (sic), map the network then right-click the device. There's a prompt then to open the Configuration URL from where you can disable the wifi. Now....why would I need to set a password for the dLan? The wifi is enabled by a password on the back of the plug but I can't see a dLan one anywhere.

8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-13 09:57:29
Print Post

The manuals suggest that a password is not set by default, so you must have set it at some point i.e. page 21 http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-wireless-exten...

If you have no idea what the password is, then you'd need to reset the plugs back to their default settings

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 17-Aug-13 13:24:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's on the same page as the wifi config settings. There wasn't an existing password so I just put in a new one and it now says I'm secured both on wLan and dLan. Presumably, if I want to add another plug at some point I'll be prompted to enter it somewhere. Apparently there's some controversy about these plugs and their effect on electrical equipment (radios in particular). Anyway, I'll keep an eye on things.

8GB RAM
IE10 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 17-Aug-13 13:42:43
Print Post

Yes if you have set a new password, then you will need to use the cockpit software to configure the new plug with the key.

Two levels of security in play

1. The encryption over the mains
2. The encryption over the wireless

Some say that HomePlugs kill Dab, but happily running the two here, the foil in the loft plasterboard does more to kill Dab reception.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to