Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User johnnyf28
(newbie) Wed 21-Aug-13 15:34:17
Print Post

Router question

[link to this post]

Hi all, I'm a little confused about something and I hope you could help. I'm looking for a new router to replace my Netgear DG834GT. Our exchange is on ADSL Max but most new routers say ADSL 2+ so would these routers work or do I need one that's only for ADSL max? Thanks for any help.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 21-Aug-13 16:09:00
Print Post

Re: Router question

[re: johnnyf28] [link to this post]

Usually the issue is the other way round, i.e. will an older router work on G.992.5 annex A (ADSL2+)

You shouldn't have any problems syncing most new routers, which are ADSL2+ capable, on a ADSL MAX connection smile

Are you looking for a router with good wireless performance, gigabit LAN, SNRM tweakable, etc. ?
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Aug-13 16:15:34
Print Post

You can always go to the manufacturers website and check out the specifications to be 100% sure.

If you see compliant with G.dmt (ITU G.992.1) mentioned in the spec then it should work on a ADSL Max connection.

If you see the phrase backward compatible with ADSL then it should work on a ADSL Max connection.

As an example this is the Billion BiPAC 7700n spec sheet :- link, available from the Billion UK website.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Aug-13 16:26:54
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Any ADSL2+ router by its nature will work with the old ADSL standard.

ADSL Max was just a product name from BT Wholesale, so will not show up on any hardware specification lists.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Aug-13 18:55:23
Print Post

Just to add to your other replies...

It might be worth posting your current router stats so people can comment some more. Also knowing why you want to change could help.

Your current router uses a Broadcom chipset and performs well - depending on your line (mostly down to attenuation - line length/quality) other routers may not perform so well.

Print Thread

Jump to