Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User McG
(newbie) Tue 27-Aug-13 22:44:30
Print Post

HG533 AP Isolation doesn't work.

[link to this post]

Has anyone got AP Isolation working on the Huawei HG533 (v1.14t TalkTalk) router?

I have configured a second SSID for guests and set AP Isolation on. However, stations on SSID2 can still access shared resources on stations connected to SSID1. Am I missing something? Rebooting both the router and the device connected to SSID2 made no difference.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 11:11:41
Print Post

Re: HG533 AP Isolation doesn't work.

[re: McG] [link to this post]

check definition - isolation often means isolating WLAN clients from LAN clients

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Kper
(member) Wed 28-Aug-13 16:22:40
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

It means isolating wireless clients on the same WLAN from each other.

They will still be able to access LAN resources in the absence of other restrictions (which often are applied to guest networks so that clients can only access the internet, for example).

If SSID1 is bridged to the LAN then shared resources there will be accessible too, by design. They aren't on the same WLAN, so they're not hidden.

AP isolation is meant for situations like a hotel, where you want to give guests access to the internet but don't want them whiling away their lonely hours hacking each other. By itself, that's all it does. Protecting the hotel's own network is then a separate task.

AP isolation isn't quite as useful at home as it appears at first glance, generally.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User McG
(newbie) Thu 29-Aug-13 10:39:35
Print Post

[re: McG] [link to this post]

Thank you. I'll investigate that.
  Print Thread

Jump to