Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Pete8five6
(newbie) Thu 12-Sep-13 19:22:42
Print Post

Speed affected by LED lighting

[link to this post]

Hi,

Does anyone have an ideas on this?

I have a row of three LED ceiling lights over my computer in the room where the main BT socket is. When I turn on the lights my download speed halves. The connection used to drop out too, but after 6 Openrreach engineer visits it at least stays connected.

The electrician who rewired my house had to go home and search the internet for other LED related problems so a) I don't want him back again and b) I wonder if the light switch should have a special capacitor to cater for the low current drawn by the LEDs.

Any electrical engineers out there who can give me pointer in the right direction?

Pete
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Sep-13 19:34:52
Print Post

Re: Speed affected by LED lighting

[re: Pete8five6] [link to this post]

Are the LED lights running via a transformer or are they self contained 230V AC type bulbs e.g. GU10

The situation seems to be some bulb type units are perfectly OK and others are not. If they are CE marked and creating interference you could return them for a refund and suitable complaint.

Compared to the number of reports of Plasma TV's causing issues, LED is a vary rare topic.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(member) Thu 12-Sep-13 20:30:54
Print Post

Try a "Quiet Line" Test on your land-line phone if applicable, plugged in to the Network Termination Box (NTE - Where BT stops and your internal wiring takes over.)

Dial 17070, followed by Option 2.

Try it at least twice, first with LEDs OFF, then with LEDs ON.

Also repeat as near to your Router/Modem as you can connect to.

Use preferably a "simple", corded phone (generally of the older variety) - but if nothing else available try any corded phone such as the Base Unit of "Cordless Phones".

==============================

The line should be quiet; but if not, it could be humming, crackling, dialling tones etc.

If you do hear any noise with the LEDs OFF, you should report it as a VOICE Fault to which-ever company that you pay LINE RENTAL to, could be BT - but may be wrapped up in your BB contract.

If the noise only occurs when the LEDs are ON, you'll have to decide whether you replace the LED lights with something that does not generate such noise - eg simple, old-fashioned incandescent lamp/s.

In the latter circumstance, also check that the switch, plug top etc for the LEDs, have their screws and other connections properly made, clean etc. A capacitor is unlikely to help; but an alectrical lubricant might help.

Also does the LED wiring run close to and "parallel" to the phone line for any length?

If it does, try separating.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-Sep-13 23:11:30
Print Post

Did the same electrician install these lights?

Did whoever install them install an external (possibly dimming) driver powering all three? I have two such strips in the bathroom, though we never had a dimmer switch installed.

I have many other GU10 spots throughout the house, (these have built-in drivers), all running off the pre-existing light switches with no problems.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Sep-13 05:36:00
Print Post

Definitely not right I have loads of GU10 all over the house without any issues. It could be the bulbs themselves, have you tried taking them all out and replacing a few with a different brand just to be sure. Long shot at least.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Sep-13 05:37:47
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

If the noise only occurs when the LEDs are ON, you'll have to decide whether you replace the LED lights with something that does not generate such noise - eg simple, old-fashioned incandescent lamp/s.
I really don't think that's a good solution to have to use other lighting, although I see your point. They should almost certainly work fine with broadband. Clearly for whatever reason this particular setup is causing issues.
Standard User kpee51
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-13 06:38:21
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hi

I have my house kitted out with LED bayonet fix (B22) lamps and I am also a radio amateur and have no trouble with BB interference or interference on amateur radio frequencies up to 1296Mhz.
I have seen an article in WHICH? about noises caused by GU9 and GU10 lamps

Keith
G8HTA
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 13-Sep-13 09:21:15
Print Post

Could well be RFI.

The LED lamps will be normally be current driven and depending on the exact configuration of LEDs in each lamp the voltage will be down in single figures. There will be some form of converter to take the incoming 230V AC down to a low enough voltage that the drivers can work with. There will almost certainly be a high frequency oscillator in the switch circuit - outside the normal voice telephony range and probably outside your hearing range.

Given the level of signal on your DSL and the potential field strength of the noise sources it is quite likely that some degree of interference will take place unless the lamps are properly shielded and are designed for minimal RFI.

I actually have 5 LED lamps in the floor, 500mm below my Master socket and Modem, and the incoming wire goes within100mm. They do cause a very small drop in speed - but the lights and inserted lamps were not cheap!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Sep-13 10:00:42
Print Post

[re: kpee51] [link to this post]

As with many devices the devil is the detail ie which brand model

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Pete8five6
(newbie) Fri 13-Sep-13 11:41:01
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thank you all for your suggestions. It looks like I've been fallen for the "LEDs will save the planet" thing without realising they're not as simple as they seem.

There is also a ceiling pendant light in the room and both sets of lights are turned on from one double wall switch which must be designed primarily for old incandescent light bulbs and their low-energy replacements.

I think I will try to find a local electrician who knows more about installing LEDs than the guy who did the original work.

I have all sorts of line noise problems, but after six BT engineer visits it is down to a level where it is still detectable but at least doesn't cause drop outs or speed degradation.

Thanks again,
Pete
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to