Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User j0nn13
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-13 09:23:40
Print Post

Sonicwall and UK ADSL (Virginmedia)

[link to this post]

Hi,

I've been asked to set up a Sonicwall NSA3600 over a Virginmedia ADSL 2+ Line. I have worked with Sonicwalls before but generally they have always been set up and in use already, I have just gone in and amended rules / settings etc.

Unfortunately I haven't set one up from scratch before and i'm struggling to get it to communicate with the ADSL Router and therefore the internet.

I basically cannot get it to talk to the router at all, I'm pretty sure I need to disable NAT on the router which I have done and configure the sonicwall with the WAN IP / gateway etc that was being used by the router. However when I do this, the sonicwall just tells me its an invalid IP.

My other thought was to put the router in bridge mode and configure PPPoE for the sonicwall, however this won't work because its UK DSL and uses PPPoA?

I'm going to contact virginmedia for some help but i'm not sure they will support this configuration?

I think I may need to request an additional public IP address, gateway details etc and set these as a static address for the WAN interface on the sonicwall with the router set with disabled NAT. Can anyone let me know if I am headed in the right direction or whether I am barking up the wrong tree?

Sadly, networking is not my strong point!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-Oct-13 09:30:02
Print Post

Re: Sonicwall and UK ADSL (Virginmedia)

[re: j0nn13] [link to this post]

Most ADSL services will happily flip between PPPoA and PPPoE authentication

If you simply disabled NAT without setting up any bridging, then I would not expect it to work, unless you had a static IP block which the Virgin Media national service is not really designed for.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User j0nn13
(committed) Wed 09-Oct-13 09:38:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Ah ok, I had thought that disabling NAT on the router (ADSL 2+ Superhub) would in effect be putting it in bridge mode.

I haven't seen an option on the router to enable bridge mode, don't suppose you know if thats something you can do?

I had also tried to configure the router with firewall disabled and to get the sonicwall to sit and act as the firewall with no NAT but that also didn't seem to work either.

Thanks for the reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Oct-13 11:22:06
Print Post

[re: j0nn13] [link to this post]

Have no idea what modem virgin media use on their ADSL product.

Correct, on the no firewall, again it needs a block of static IP addresses to work.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to