Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User netdudeuk
(newbie) Fri 11-Oct-13 09:49:09
Print Post

Routers without Wi-Fi for BT Infinity ?

[link to this post]

Hi

Are there any routers out there suitable for BT Infinity that do not have any Wi-Fi hardware built in ? I'm not looking for routers that have Wi-Fi that can be disabled via the control panel.

Someone suggested the DrayTek Vigor 2920 but that's close to £200 and I don't need all those extra features.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Oct-13 11:49:55
Print Post

Re: Routers without Wi-Fi for BT Infinity ?

[re: netdudeuk] [link to this post]

By wanting no wireless you are bucking the trend and tend to be restricted to the more expensive business ranges.

Any particular reason that makes the need to not have wireless in the router essential?

You will find simple Ethernet/cable routers that are cheap, but likely to be older models and not up to the challenge of handling a 100 Mbps PPPoE based connection.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-13 11:58:32
Print Post

Seems an odd request to be honest! You'll not find many without WiFi built in as it's kind of essential nowadays for phones tablets etc

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User netdudeuk
(newbie) Fri 11-Oct-13 12:06:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I didn't mention why I don't want Wi-Fi because I didn't want to start a flame war but as you've bothered to reply, I'll advise that it's simply because there is still no conclusive evidence that Wi-Fi emissions are completely safe.

I know people may say that there are already Wi-Fi, 3G and goodness knows what else emissions in the house and that is true but when it comes to the health and safety of my family, I have the right to choose not to increase any potential risk. After all, doctors used to tell people to smoke tobacco, tell expectant women to eat liver, kids used to play in the dust outside asbestos factories, etc, etc.

Thanks
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 11-Oct-13 12:14:47
Print Post

On all the wireless routers I've seen the aerials are screwed in when you set it up, they're not fixed in the manufacture.

If you turn the WiFi off on the GUI and don't mount the aerials, that should be enough to allay your concerns I think?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 12:25:03
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Security/health issues aside, it doesn't seem like an odd request to me: if one doesn't have a need for wireless then high quality routers might be less expensive than the equivalents that have a wireless capability?

If I wished to get a router to link to a fibre modem then I would certainly be considering a gigabit router without a wireless function since I only have desktop computers and devices on the network without wireless cards.
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 11-Oct-13 12:30:18
Print Post

Yep this is true... If you have a family though presumably they use smartphones? If you aren't using WiFi on a mobile device they will have to use 3G to access data services which has a much higher transmit power than WiFi and is in my opinion more likely to lead to cancer etc. Also bear in mind that microwaves, cordless telephones, wireless baby monitors etc are just as bad. I see so many people saying their mobiles cause cancer whilst they're walking around using the cordless landline like it's 100% safe.

It's fairly understandable though smile
Standard User netdudeuk
(newbie) Fri 11-Oct-13 13:05:56
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies.

I agree with you about the other radiation. We used to have analogue cordless phones but now that DECTs seem to be the only option, we have a corded one wink
Standard User netdudeuk
(newbie) Fri 11-Oct-13 13:09:19
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
Security/health issues aside, it doesn't seem like an odd request to me: if one doesn't have a need for wireless then high quality routers might be less expensive than the equivalents that have a wireless capability?

If I wished to get a router to link to a fibre modem then I would certainly be considering a gigabit router without a wireless function since I only have desktop computers and devices on the network without wireless cards.

As it happens, I've already got an MSI AP54G Wi-Fi access point (that I've had for many years and rarely use, and only for short periods if I do) so it would be duplication for me.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Oct-13 13:26:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by netdudeuk:
As it happens, I've already got an MSI AP54G Wi-Fi access point (that I've had for many years and rarely use, and only for short periods if I do) so it would be duplication for me.

Good policy, only turn wireless on if and when you need it. I see people using ISP supplied routers, which by default have wireless enabled, and even though they don't need a wlan they don't turn wireless off from the router's GUI..
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to