Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zaralus
(newbie) Fri 18-Oct-13 17:38:43
Print Post

Open Resolver Issue with my Monoprice Router

[link to this post]

I recently purchases a MonoPrice HDStream Gigabit Dual Band Wireless N Router in order to attempt to get better range on my wireless than the default router Rogers provided me with.

I set the rogers router up to just be a bridge to the new router and I have everything plugged into the new MonoPrice router and am using that router for my wireless as well. The wireless is great and everything seems to work fine. However, Rogers called me up and told me that there's an "Open Resolver" issue with my router and that it's a security risk and that if I can't fix the issue I would have to go back to using their [censored] default router.

The website they gave me to verify my network is openresolverproject.net

This site indeed says I am an open resolver. Could some please give me an idea of what's go on here so I can fix the issue and still have my good wireless connection!

Here's a link to the router I bought:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=105&cp_id=105...

Thanks in advance!
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 18-Oct-13 18:27:21
Print Post

Re: Open Resolver Issue with my Monoprice Router

[re: Zaralus] [link to this post]

You need to prevent traffic from the outside heading to (i.e. destination) of port 53 (both UDP and TCP) traffic from entering your network using the router's firewall.

Standard User Zaralus
(newbie) Sat 19-Oct-13 19:51:16
Print Post

Re: Open Resolver Issue with my Monoprice Router

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Okay that makes sense but with this router I have it seems like the only option is to set up a virtual server to forward a WAN port to a LAN port. It has port 53(DNS) in the list here. But even when I set this up to forward to some random IP in my network on port 53 it still doesn't seem to fix the issue. This router doesn't seem to have the option tto simply block a port... Any suggestions?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to