Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 02-Nov-13 11:47:58
Print Post

VoIP on the AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7390

[link to this post]

I'm researching a combined modem / router to use with FTTC. The instruction manual for the AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7390 says you need to have your VoIP phone set up and then connect it to the box. So it doesn't really have VoIP built in? On the other hand the review here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/73-fr... suggests it has a page to configure a VoIP connection.

Maybe someone who has this box can tell me.

What I want to do is connect a POTS phone to the box and have it route calls via my VoIP provider. I know how a VoIP phone works by being connected to an Ethernet port on any router, that's not what I want but is what the instructions suggest.

I'm currently using a Linksys VoIP adaptor into which I plug the phone, the adaptor goes into an Ethernet port. I'd like a router with this built in.

As far as I know Draytek have router which do what I want but I'd like to have the DECT base station built in as well!

Thanks!
Standard User tonym
(member) Sat 02-Nov-13 19:45:19
Print Post

Re: VoIP on the AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7390

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Woolwich:
I'm researching a combined modem / router to use with FTTC. The instruction manual for the AVM Fritz!Box Fon WLAN 7390 says you need to have your VoIP phone set up and then connect it to the box. So it doesn't really have VoIP built in? On the other hand the review here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/73-fr... suggests it has a page to configure a VoIP connection.

Maybe someone who has this box can tell me.

What I want to do is connect a POTS phone to the box and have it route calls via my VoIP provider. I know how a VoIP phone works by being connected to an Ethernet port on any router, that's not what I want but is what the instructions suggest.

I'm currently using a Linksys VoIP adaptor into which I plug the phone, the adaptor goes into an Ethernet port. I'd like a router with this built in.

As far as I know Draytek have router which do what I want but I'd like to have the DECT base station built in as well!

Thanks!

Hi Woolwich, I dont have the Fritz 7390 any more but it definitely has a page to input the Voip settings.
I believe if you connect your POTS phone to the 7390 you can route the Voip calls to that as well or connect a second phone and route the voip to that instead. You do not need VOIP phones.

tonym
Standard User DougM
(member) Sat 02-Nov-13 20:28:24
Print Post

[re: tonym] [link to this post]

I have a 7390 and can confirm that you can connect regular phones to it using the included BT-to-RJ11 adapters and use them to make calls over VoIP. You can also connect the Fritz!Box directly to your landline to use it for calls through your telephone line, setting rules to determine which calls go direct and which use a VoIP provider.

You can pair GAP-compatible DECT phones to the Fritz!Box, making it act just like a regular home phone base station. Every wireless home phone I've ever bought has been GAP-compatible, but you need the instructions to know the sequence to pair them with a new base-station.

All-in-all the Fritz!Box 7390 is a powerful home PBX solution!

Doug

-==-
DougM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bet_here
(regular) Sat 02-Nov-13 20:44:20
Print Post

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

I'm using a 7390, but still with the BTOR modem.

I have 2 VOIP accounts registered, as well as the landline connected.
Connected to this I have 2 corded phones and one DECT phone. Dialling rules can be set up to select which line is used for outgoing calls.

I understand that an IP phone can be registered to the Fritz!Box and calls also routed according to these Dialling Rules. I've just brought a Cisco IP phone on Ebay, so will be trying this when it turns up.

(I think it will do a max. of 6 DECT and 10 IP phones in addition to the 2 POTS)

HTH, Simon.
Standard User niceboy
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-13 09:34:37
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bet_here:
I'm using a 7390, but still with the BTOR modem.

I have 2 VOIP accounts registered, as well as the landline connected.
Connected to this I have 2 corded phones and one DECT phone. Dialling rules can be set up to select which line is used for outgoing calls.

I understand that an IP phone can be registered to the Fritz!Box and calls also routed according to these Dialling Rules. I've just brought a Cisco IP phone on Ebay, so will be trying this when it turns up.

(I think it will do a max. of 6 DECT and 10 IP phones in addition to the 2 POTS)

I had a very similar setup as you have but without the BTOR modem using just the FB 7390 but I also have quite an extensive Network around the house. I note you are getting an IP phone to connect to your FB, is this really necessary as the cost compared to any DECT cordless system is much greater. As I recently took up the best offer ever from BT (shareholders only!) for infinity 2 and BT sport I needed to use the Home Hub 5. This was for access to BT sport. I therefor had to connect the FB 7390 as an IP client to the HH5. It all worked well but with a surprising side effect. Using the HH5 I gained 6Mb (38Mb to 44Mb) on my download speed! I was surprised at this as the FB had given me exactly the same speed (38Mb) as the original HG612 modem I had before the Fritz!box and before I signed up for BT sport. It's a funny old game, this broadband lark.
  Print Thread

Jump to