Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User astateoftrance
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 18:16:11
Print Post

Parental Controls on ASUS RT-56U

[link to this post]

I have a ASUS RT-56U and I have been meaning to set up parental controls on it for some time. Looking through the settings I can see there is a URL filter... is there somewhere I can get a comprehensive list of URLs to add?

I am running firmware version 1.0.1.8j. Do newer versions give more options? how about third party firmwares?

If someone can point me to a guide or give some advice it would be appreciated smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Nov-13 18:35:10
Print Post

Re: Parental Controls on ASUS RT-56U

[re: astateoftrance] [link to this post]

The list would be millions long, so if the option is just to block urls then its not that much use beyond blocking a few of the obvious sites.

Generally what is more useful is to block everything, and then only allow through the sites you want someone to be able to access.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 15-Nov-13 18:44:52
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
so if the option is just to block urls then its not that much use beyond blocking a few of the obvious sites.
Comes in useful for blocking pop-unders smile

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 19:26:43
Print Post

Thanks, good point. One of the reason I bought this router was for parental controls but maybe it is not the easiest or best solutions.
What I would like is something like the Sky Shield that has just been announced. I am with PlusNet who do not have a feature like that (AFAIK) but I have previously used OpenDNS which worked but my concern was with privacy, ie does my internet traffic all travel through their servers ?
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 15-Nov-13 19:44:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by astateoftrance:
I have a ASUS RT-56U and I have been meaning to set up parental controls on it for some time. Looking through the settings I can see there is a URL filter... is there somewhere I can get a comprehensive list of URLs to add?
I'm using an RT66 so it may not be the same, but you don't have to enter a full url into the filter. It will block any url containing the character string you give it.

You need to be careful though- putting "sex" in there would block you from a lot of Home Counties sites tongue

If you feel like trying it, be aware that enabling the url filter for the first time causes the router to re-boot, so make sure you're not streaming, downloading, transferring files over the LAN etc. It doesn't re-boot when you add a url to the list though.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
(committed) Fri 15-Nov-13 20:07:21
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Ok thanks, I don't think I will start messing about with that. Decided to set up OpenDNS again. I am sure before long most of the ISP's will provide the service.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Nov-13 21:09:46
Print Post

OpenDNS should be fine, all they see is the domain name requests and return you the IP address. They don't see the full URL e.g. all they know is you went to www.bbc.co.uk not that you went to the news story about XYZ

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sat 16-Nov-13 09:38:25
Print Post

Thanks Andrew, that is good to know smile
  Print Thread

Jump to