Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GrahamM242
(newbie) Sat 30-Nov-13 09:27:51
Print Post

FTTC router capable of multiple WAN IPs

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I'm looking to move to a FTTC connection, and I'm trying to figure out what routers might actually be suitable for my purposes. Basically, I'm looking for a router that can manage to handle a small subnet on the WAN side - bridged or NAT (in the true sense) is fine for me. So far, all the routers I've looked at seem to skip over the possibility of having more than one IP on the WAN side. I've spent some time trying to read manuals for various different devices, but with little joy.

Can anyone suggest any devices that can handle this situation?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 30-Nov-13 12:48:56
Print Post

Re: FTTC router capable of multiple WAN IPs

[re: GrahamM242] [link to this post]

to make sure I'm awake, you want a router where the single WAN port has multiple IP addresses ?

and this router will be the one doing the PPPoE session ?

perhaps worth asking what you are looking to achieve in overall terms.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Edited by yarwell (Sat 30-Nov-13 12:57:16)

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 30-Nov-13 17:32:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by GrahamM242:
Can anyone suggest any devices that can handle this situation?

I assume you're using an ISP such as Zen or AAISP who can supply you a routed block of IP addresses over a connection, as very few ISPs can handle routed blocks on domestic connections (ADSL or VDSL/Fibre).

If so the traditional answer has been look at Draytek or Billion kit.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GrahamM242
(newbie) Sun 01-Dec-13 09:00:07
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

Thanks for the questions - I could have been clearer!
Yes, I'm looking for a device that can do multiple IP addresses on a single WAN port, and the router would be the one doing the PPPoE session. Basically I've got a routed IP block, and several different services exposed to the outside (IPSec VPN, email etc).

I'm happy to do either NAT between internal and external, or routed IPs.

I've noted that some people indicate that PPPoE causes more of an overhead on the router - is this much of an issue for modern devices?
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-13 10:50:39
Print Post

I've noted that some people indicate that PPPoE causes more of an overhead on the router - is this much of an issue for modern devices?

It all seems to depend on the WAN speed. If you have 300megabit FTTP then yes, its an issue - there was a thread on that topic in the FTTC forum in the summer - may routers didn't have enough CPU to handle PPPoE without slowing down the 300megabit to 120 or so. Since then ASUS routers now claim to have hardware acceleration for PPPoE and no idea if that helps. (The BT HomeHub 3 did handle it okay, but its a very basic PPPoE or oA box with NAT).

However if you're on FTTC then you're unlikely to get a problem with the modern kit. Not all ISPs use PPPoE either, but probably all the ones selling routed IP blocks.

One to ask the ISP perhaps?

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User GrahamM242
(newbie) Sun 01-Dec-13 15:40:28
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

It'd be nice to have FTTP, but I don't see that happening any time soon! Currently I'm with Zen, so I presume they're going to be using PPPoE. I can check that one out. Thanks for the pointers so far!

Do you happen to know if Billion provide online manuals for their devices? I was looking at a couple of their devices earlier, and sadly I couldn't anything more than a brochure for them.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 01-Dec-13 17:47:38
Print Post

Wouldn't this be the same situation as ADSL where the ISP supplies a block of IPs all coming to the single ADSL WAN port? Then using NAT Address Mapping to separate them?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 01-Dec-13 18:14:26
Print Post

Yes, I'm looking for a device that can do multiple IP addresses on a single WAN port, and the router would be the one doing the PPPoE session. Basically I've got a routed IP block, and several different services exposed to the outside (IPSec VPN, email etc).

Ok, so the multiple public IPs will be on servers on the LAN side and the router will have a single WAN side public IP via PPPoE.

Several routers can handle this, sometimes called Multi-NAT. As described at http://www.tp-link.us/article/?id=383 (which happens to be an ADSL router).

If that's what you're after we'll see who pops up with experience, I don't have FTTC.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Mon 02-Dec-13 02:28:21
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Ok, so the multiple public IPs will be on servers on the LAN side and the router will have a single WAN side public IP via PPPoE.

Several routers can handle this, sometimes called Multi-NAT.
Methinks that would not be NAT of any flavour as no network address is being translated. It sounds like a routed subnet to me and is generally the configuration I run for all my connections with a real world IP address from the external interface available on an internal interface of the router. Internal servers then each have their own real world IP address from the same subnet as the router.

Please note this is not how BT supplies static routed blocks over xDSL.

On FTTC I use a Cisco 887VA for this configuration (without Openreach modem).

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 02-Dec-13 12:28:39
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
Methinks that would not be NAT of any flavour as no network address is being translated.

It is called Multinat by some vendors, as it does NAT at the same time as the routed subnet IPs being used on the LAN side.

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to