Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User copex
(committed) Mon 16-Dec-13 20:23:24
Print Post

Just Got a Asus DSL-N66U

[link to this post]

Just send it back to the supplier frown i have read lots of good reviews about the RT-N66U seeing there is now a version that has a inbuilt VDSL modem ( DSL-N66U ), i decided to buy one and get rid of the openreach modem, i don't think i will ever buy another Asus product again after the response i got from there tech support.

i have a 80/20 FTTC connection, the average throughput i get is 76Mbps/18Mbps, so i get home plug it in and get it on line with only one computer connected and run a speed test and get 52Mbps/18Mbps ok so i try another speed test the next day 51Mbps/17Mbps, ok so there is a wan port on the router so i reconnect the Openreach modem, reconfigure the router and run a speed test, 76/18 so there seems to be a speed differnc of 25Mbps between using the inbuilt VDSL modem and the Openreach modem, so off go's a email to asus tech support.....asking about the speed difference when using the inbuilt modem and the openreach modem connected to the Wan port.

And this was there response........

"
Dear [Removed]

My name is {Removed} and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem

This is common, if you DSL-N66U, it will do the routing forwarding, and this will reduce litter speed.
Or you can consider to disable both Windows firewall and the Asus router firewall.

Welcome to refer Troubleshooting & FAQ for ASUS products in ASUS website:
[Web address removed]

If you continue to experience issues in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Best Regards,
{removed}

ASUS Product Support Team
"

So back in the box and off to the supplier it ASUS make a point of how fast this router is, this did not seem to apply to the modem. if you are looking to but a one box sloution and have a 80/20 connection this is not the router to go for.
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Mon 16-Dec-13 21:03:38
Print Post

Re: Just Got a Asus DSL-N66U

[re: copex] [link to this post]

probably just the chipset compatibility

what router are you going to use

KRO BCFC smile

BQM
Standard User copex
(committed) Tue 17-Dec-13 20:03:16
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

im back to the good old Billion 7800N with the Openreach modem, will wait and see what oneboxs solutions appear on the market next year.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 17-Dec-13 20:12:52
Print Post

Basically, you've discovered the downside of one-box solutions. The hard way!

Much better to choose each piece of kit to do the best for its particular function- your choice is drastically restricted when you want them all in one box and a compromise is pretty well inevitable.

The Asus RT-66 with the OR modem is excellent, and it's not as if the extra box is going to leave you short of space...

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Dec-13 09:51:59
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

the 7800n downfall is the ewan maxing out at 100mb, there was reports of the ewan struggling to hit 38mb but this was down to firmware / QOS, so for the time being unless you get fttp then the 7800n is still a decent piece of kit, had it for over two years on adsl2+ now it will be on my fibre connection !, value for money !

7800dxl is the next best choice but even still I am wary of using alternative modem chipsets for VDSL considering how sensitive DLM can be

For my install next week I will be using the supplied modem with the 7800n plugged in and upgrading my internal network to cat5e

7800dxl is tasty though tongue

KRO BCFC smile

BQM

Edited by Stanman_24 (Wed 18-Dec-13 09:53:14)

Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 18-Dec-13 10:05:28
Print Post

[re: Stanman_24] [link to this post]

I used to have a 7800N- used it on an 80/20 FTTC connection with no bothers, but I wasn't using QoS.

Wireless seems to be a possible weak point- quite a few reports of it packing up after a while. Mine gave up the ghost about a month after the warranty expired (typical crazy), the rest of it still works so it's now in the cupboard as an emergency spare (the primary spare is another Asus).

The 7800dxl may not be entirely ready for prime time yet either- link

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Stanman_24
(knowledge is power) Wed 18-Dec-13 10:17:42
Print Post

Yeh I had a dodgy 7800n with the faulty ralink wireless chipset

I did get 6 MB/s from the 7800n using an RAlink n300 usb adaptor, not much can get close to that

Model Name BiPAC 7800N
System Up-Time 7 Day(s) 22 Hour(s)
Hardware Version Annex A
Software Version 1.06h

Physical Port Status
Ethernet
EWAN Down
ADSL Up 828 / 18108 kbps

rock solid router that still has life left in it for a few more years

KRO BCFC smile

BQM
Standard User copex
(committed) Thu 19-Dec-13 23:28:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Basically, you've discovered the downside of one-box solutions. The hard way!

Much better to choose each piece of kit to do the best for its particular function- your choice is drastically restricted when you want them all in one box and a compromise is pretty well inevitable.

The Asus RT-66 with the OR modem is excellent, and it's not as if the extra box is going to leave you short of space...

there is no reason why a one box soulition will not work as well as a modem and router, i have just setup draytek 2860 with two 80/20 connections one using the inbuilt vdsl modem and the second on the Ethernet wan via the openreach modem with no signs of slowdown, even had it at home to test and it worked flawless. though it is just two expensive for a home router.
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 20-Dec-13 08:10:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by copex:
there is no reason why a one box soulition will not work as well as a modem and router
That's not quite what I meant, although I didn't phrase it very well.

As regards the basic requirement of getting a good, fast signal from your phone master socket to your computer's Ethernet port, I completely agree.

But if you want some particular function (QoS functions by LAN IP or something) that isn't available in a one-box solution then you're out of luck.

A modem is basically a simple piece of kit to convert xDSL of some flavour to Ethernet, provided it's adequately reliable and fast enough for the signal that's all it needs to do. Routers are a lot more complex and the users have a much wider variety of requirements, ranging from none at all (computer plugged directly into modem) up to needing something that they're more likely to get from Cisco than Netgear…

That sort of range of options is unlikely to ever appear in one-box solutions.

My other objection is the same as to the combined printer/fax/copier kit that's so common these days- if one bit goes wrong (or you want to update it) you have to replace to whole thing, with separated functions you just replace the bit that's gone belly-up (or out of date).

Bill

Standard User gf20
(newbie) Mon 20-Jan-14 20:55:59
Print Post

Unfortunately got one of these thinking it would be a good idea

Sync has now dropped by 10mbps from 34mbps

DSL Driver Version FwVer:5.4.11.21_A_TC3095 HwVer:T14.F7_0.0
DSL Link Status up
DSL Uptime 0 days 0 hours 25 minutes 51 seconds
DSL Modulation ITU G.993.2(VDSL2)
Annex Mode ANNEX_A