Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User EpicFishFingers
(newbie) Tue 31-Dec-13 14:38:56
Print Post

Gigaset SE 572 router won't internet after factory reset

[link to this post]

Sorry for the engrish title, there's a short character limit.

Anyway I'm on EE/Orange broadband, and they gave us a Brightbox router. I'm trying to use a VPN. It's become evident that VPN doesn't work with these routers, which is immensely annoying as I need to connect to my universty VN to access a software vital to do my coursework.

So I've dug out my old Siemens Gigaset SE 572 router, in the vain hope that I can use that to access the VPN, rather than having to move house just to do my coursework.

I thought I'd need to change some setting in the 192.168.1.1 box, but I couldn't log in (non-default login password). So I reset it so it would be "admin"

Before it connected to the internet fine, now it won't! Why won't it work out of the box?? How do I fix it? I wish I'd never reset it!

Typing this on the Brightbox router, switching routers is a tedious task... I'm sure there's no way to un-reset the router but how do I make it connect to the internet now that I have reset it??

Thanks, the deadline for the coursework is January the 6th and I've hardly started it due to my VPN not working. There is no alternative to the VPN - it MUST work to undertake this coursework
Standard User EpicFishFingers
(newbie) Tue 31-Dec-13 14:55:07
Print Post

Re: Gigaset SE 572 router won't internet after factory reset

[re: EpicFishFingers] [link to this post]

Sorry to double-post, but I GOT IT WORKING!!

The trick was to just hope that it would randomly start working, because now it does work. Maybe plugging your newer router in then plugging the Siemens Gigaset router back in after establishing a connection through the newer router did it? Somehow the data was retained in the cabled plugged into the back of the router?

Either way it's working now by some stroke of luck (I changed no settings), so maybe just resetting it until it works is the trick!

[censored] broadband routers, they're so temperamental and slow to boot and fragile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 31-Dec-13 15:24:06
Print Post

What are you studying at university?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 31-Dec-13 15:49:21
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

smile

______________________________________________________________________________________Go_girl!__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 31-Dec-13 17:49:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by EpicFishFingers:
(I changed no settings
Didn't you set your BB username & password in the Siemens after factory resetting it? Otherwise it can't possibly work; it is not remotely administered by Orange.

There is no way connecting successfully with 1 router will carry over to a 2nd router by the discon in between.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to