Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User finchley
(newbie) Thu 16-Jan-14 15:29:16
Print Post

Which modem/router

[link to this post]

Hooray. Am finally able to get fibre broadband under the Superfast Surrey scheme and have decided to go with Plusnet.However having read various reports/reviews on the supplied router (Technicolor) I'm not very impressed.Thinking of getting Asus DSL-N66U. My only concern is future proofing with regards wifi speeds. Is it worth waiting for more 802.11ac compliant machines to come on the market as it is only 802.11n? Similarly is there any way of finding out if future firmware upgrades will enable G.Vectoring (G.993.5?)? Would the Asus RT-AC66U be a better bet and if so what modem?
Ideally I would prefer to stick with the all in one.Hope the above makes sense as my technical knowledge on these issues is limited. All help gratefully received.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Jan-14 14:00:59
Print Post

Re: Which modem/router

[re: finchley] [link to this post]

Wi-Fi speed wise, if better speeds are needed then a wireless access point as an addition will help.

On the vectoring support, not sure with the N66U, but then vectoring as a live product might be 3 years or more away.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to