Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Fri 17-Jan-14 12:59:16
Print Post

BT Openreach MK2 VDSL filter

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Regarding the BT Openreach MK2 VDSL filter, does any one know:

If it'll filter ADSL2+ connections as well
If it'll work with an RJ11 cable plugged into the RJ45 socket it presents (correct pinout etc.)
If it improves synch and lowers CRC errors (as I've read it's done for VDSL users)

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Jan-14 13:59:30
Print Post

Re: BT Openreach MK2 VDSL filter

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Mileage will vary, as almost every line is unique but if you have no faceplate now then its worth a go. If you have an ADSLNation or other (including MK1) faceplate, then only bother if you don't mind spending the money.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Fri 17-Jan-14 17:20:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just done it, while I wait for the shielded RJ11 cable to arrive. My synch actually dropped by a few 100 KB, so I guess the faceplate I had before (marked ADSL v1.0) has doing a good job.

We'll see if my CRC error rate drops...

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 17-Jan-14 17:28:18
Print Post

[re: AndyPandy] [link to this post]

MrSaffron has already answered your queries, but I'm wondering if you are using this to improve a non-Fibre connection as you mention ADSL?

If you are then your sync won't be at it's best if you've just done this as you'll get your best sync during daylight hours when interference(noise) is lower.

The ADSL side of your connection isn't filtered - it's just voice that needs filtering.
So to see the best you can achieve connect directly to your TEST socket and look at the stats.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your post smile

Standard User AndyPandy
(experienced) Fri 17-Jan-14 18:38:28
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by b4dger:
MrSaffron has already answered your queries, but I'm wondering if you are using this to improve a non-Fibre connection as you mention ADSL?

If you are then your sync won't be at it's best if you've just done this as you'll get your best sync during daylight hours when interference(noise) is lower.

The ADSL side of your connection isn't filtered - it's just voice that needs filtering.
So to see the best you can achieve connect directly to your TEST socket and look at the stats.

Sorry if I've misunderstood your post smile

You're right, I'm trying it on an ADSL2+ connection. Take you point re. synch speeds, but I rarely disconnect my router; maybe I'll give it a go tomorrow... smile

I'm more interested in the RFI & REIN protection apparently offered by this model. I disconnected the bell wire years back.

Cheers,
AP

ZeN Office
Draytek Vigor 2710n
  Print Thread

Jump to