Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User connormill
(regular) Mon 20-Jan-14 20:00:42
Print Post

Flush mounted VDSL Socket

[link to this post]

I have recently swapped the master socket for a family member from a standard NTE 5 (Old T Logo) to a new OR NTE + VDSL Socket.

Trouble is... his socket was surface mounted, so when you add in the width of the surface mounting box, the standard socket and the DSL gubbin it sticks out of the wall about 4 feet!

The pace where it's mounted is on Plywood and is hollow, so I will be hiding the mounting box in the cavity, but I'd like to go further than that and hid the DSL filter in the wall do, so it only sticks out a few mill, like a normal socket.

Does anyone know if this is possible? and if so, how!?

P.S
I know I shouldn't touch the cable behind the socket but I'm not worried. He's ex-BT engineer of 27 years, I'm Ex-Sky of 4 years and know what we're doing! not really worried about the "legalities" of it either

Switched to Be* since BT decided I am not getting FTTC!

Might go for 2 bonded lines, speed aint bad at the moment

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2417616320.png
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 20-Jan-14 20:37:18
Print Post

Re: Flush mounted VDSL Socket

[re: connormill] [link to this post]

If you sink the mounting box further into the wall you could sink the faceplate so its less proad. Hole in wall would need to be slightly bigger

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 20-Jan-14 21:15:46
Print Post

As MrSaffron says - as long as you can provide sufficient support inside the cavity as there's a bit of weight about. The next occupant may not realise they need to be gentle with the plugging in and more particularly hitting the plugged-in connectors with a vacuum cleaner.

I'm a little perplexed though smile. I don't remember too well BT faceplate logos, but if it was previously an NTE5 then what happened to the sunken backbox for that? Do you mean it was an LJ 2/1A?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 20-Jan-14 21:16:26)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User connormill
(regular) Mon 20-Jan-14 22:10:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
As MrSaffron says - as long as you can provide sufficient support inside the cavity as there's a bit of weight about. The next occupant may not realise they need to be gentle with the plugging in and more particularly hitting the plugged-in connectors with a vacuum cleaner.

I'm a little perplexed though smile. I don't remember too well BT faceplate logos, but if it was previously an NTE5 then what happened to the sunken back box for that? Do you mean it was an LJ 2/1A?

100% it's an NTE5, took a while of searching (and it's not a great picture) but it's one like this. http://andysworld.org.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/201...

Anyway, about the wall, the socket on the side of a chimney breast. the chimney breast itself is stone (granite.. it is Aberdeen after all!) and there is a cavity section, maybe 3 inches deep been installed on one side, all the electric / phone / Coax (that was me smile ) run inside this cavity as it goes from basement to attic.

The down side to this cavity is that the stone wall behind it is very rough, not flat enough to mound a box too. it's not a plasterboard partition either but instead plywood.

my plan now I think is to remove one of the ply panels, and attach a piece of wood to the stone giving me a flat surface to screw my NTE5 Back box on to. If I position it right and do my sums correctly, I should be able to use the correct thickness of wood to make the socket stock out of the wall by just a few mill (keeping the perfectionist in me happy)

Switched to Be* since BT decided I am not getting FTTC!

Might go for 2 bonded lines, speed aint bad at the moment

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2417616320.png
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 20-Jan-14 22:57:47
Print Post

Sorry blush. Somehow I misread "Trouble is... his socket was surface mounted" as "Trouble is... the new socket is surface mounted". Looking at it now, I think the "is" and "his" got jumbled up in my head.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 21-Jan-14 12:18:02
Print Post

What about using a deep plasterboard box? That would get it 25mm further in so that just the two face plates are standing proud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Brunel
(experienced) Tue 21-Jan-14 14:09:29
Print Post

Look at "Dry Lining Box"

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/Boxes+Pat...
Standard User connormill
(regular) Sun 26-Jan-14 16:22:43
Print Post

[re: Brunel] [link to this post]

Well my thought was a 45mm Dry Lining box, but don't think that will make much difference.

The 45mm relates to the depth of the box, but the NTE5 still fits onto the front of the box, so the backbox can be 20mm or 100mm but the front will still stick out the front of the wall the same width

I've done the unthinkable.... and switched to TalkTalk! And it's not bad!

Using my own home-made MacPro. Love the Hackintosh!

[IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/3246633650.png[/IMG]
  Print Thread

Jump to