Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User FRENCH_CHRIS
(newbie) Mon 27-Jan-14 10:41:54
Print Post

How to Improve Wireless Speed/Capacity

[link to this post]

Apologies for any obvious errors - still trying to understand how networks really work!

I live in France and use my bog standard ISP modem (SFR Neufbox) which has wireless 802.11G (but not 'n') and a 10/100 lan port. For many years, this has been adequate for my basic needs, but these have now changed. My ISP package through an ADSL line is as good as I can get in the countryside, so I'm stuck with around 6Mb download / 1Mb upload speeds on a good day .

We have a large house and need to spread the wifi signal as far as possible for multiple users. A year or so ago, on the advice of friends, I bought 2 wireless repeaters to extend the signal, with reasonable success (Edimax EW7416APN v2) with capacity for 300mbps transfer.

I have also started watching internet TV on my PC and can cable this to my TV without problem. THere is occassional buffering delay however.

I want to try and strengthen the wifi signal if possible, and to allow better speed whilst multiple users are on line at the same time. I assume that using 802.11n equipment is a no-brainer, but my main question is this...

I am sure that there are more choices, but as I see it, there are 3 possibilities and I would like to know which is best..

1. Keep existing modem, buy a decent wireless router (EG TP link TD WR1043ND) in my budget and hard wire it to the modem - should improve wireless but I cannot see that the cabled option improves - even with gigabit transfer from router to pc, am i right in beleiving that a 10/100 lan modem will restrict all incoming WAN traffic to that speed only.

2. Upgrade my ISP modem - their new one is 802.11n compliant, with a gigabit lan port. I'm sure that it is better than my existing one, but doubt that it is as good as the routers available for purchase seperately.

3. Do both (upgrade ISP modem AND buy a 2nd wireless router.

4. (OK, I know I said there were 3 options, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear from you. I'm more interested in why I should go for one option over another, rather than which model I should buy - there is already plenty of advice and info available for different kit.

I hope you can help. THank you.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 27-Jan-14 11:48:36
Print Post

Re: How to Improve Wireless Speed/Capacity

[re: FRENCH_CHRIS] [link to this post]

My suggestion:

1. Keep the existing modem/hub and link that directly to a Gigabit switch. Allow the modem/hub to continue providing DHCP

2. Turn off wireless in the hub.

3. Install several Wireless Access points around the property - wire these back to the switch. That way the wireless traffic will only be that providing connectivity to devices.

OR

Upgrade the modem/hub to one which has Gigabit LAN capability and still install additional WAPs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User jjrobb
(newbie) Mon 27-Jan-14 12:09:29
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Quick question - should the wireless AP's all have the same SSID (wireless network name), or do they need to be different?

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 27-Jan-14 12:23:39
Print Post

[re: jjrobb] [link to this post]

Personal preference!

One SSID means just one profile in the PC and one passcode and can mean easier transitions. Different SSIDs means you know which you are on and can choose the "local" one for the part of the house knowing which gives best speeds in each location.

Others will give reasons in favour or against each option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to