Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User PeeBee
(learned) Thu 30-Jan-14 22:10:57
Print Post

Faulty DSL filter

[link to this post]

Bt Openreach engineer came today to investigate intermittent fault causing both voice and broadband drops over last week or so - no noise on line; speeds OK. Reckoned to test the DSL filter and pronounced it faulty! What's the lifespan of a filter?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 30-Jan-14 22:22:32
Print Post

Re: Faulty DSL filter

[re: PeeBee] [link to this post]

1 day to 10+ years.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 30-Jan-14 22:22:44)

Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 31-Jan-14 07:25:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by PeeBee:
What's the lifespan of a filter?
They work until end of life… which is defined as the day it stops working frown

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jan-14 07:46:40
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Usually 1 day longer than the guarantee period frown

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User PeeBee
(learned) Sun 02-Feb-14 13:56:18
Print Post

Flippant comments aside. What are the signs of a faulty filter?

I can find no advice re changing them at a particular point in time - therefore what is the lifespan?

As they are usually included in the box with the ISPs router, does this make them the ISPs responsibility?

Having spent hours allegedly troubleshooting my fault, at no point has anybody mentioned filters.

Smells like BS from Openreach to me.
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Feb-14 15:15:22
Print Post

I don't see why a filter should really be any different from any other electronic item. I've often heard it said that electronics have an early life failure - a matter of months, or last for quite a few years.

However I'd have thought that realistically the life of a very inexpensive piece of consumer electronics is fairly unpredictable. And the problem with a filter, compared to (say) a cheap radio, is the difficulty of knowing that it's failed.

If it was suggested to me that a filter had failed, or if I suspected the possibility, I'd replace it to see if it made any difference.

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Feb-14 15:18:56
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cheshire_man:
However I'd have thought that realistically the life of a very inexpensive piece of consumer electronics is fairly unpredictable.

And that is the main reason the military pay so much more for electronics.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 02-Feb-14 15:42:03
Print Post

There is no lifespan for a cheap consumer grade product. They are being pushed out as cheap as possible using the cheapest components available on the day they were made. There might be a 2 second test on each one and maybe a little more testing and characteristic checking on 1 in every 1,000 or 10,000 but that is it. If consumers want filters with a guaranteed lifetime of 5 years then they will need to pay three, four, five times the price - but no one wants to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User PeeBee
(learned) Mon 03-Feb-14 10:07:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
There is no lifespan for a cheap consumer grade product. They are being pushed out as cheap as possible using the cheapest components available on the day they were made. There might be a 2 second test on each one and maybe a little more testing and characteristic checking on 1 in every 1,000 or 10,000 but that is it. If consumers want filters with a guaranteed lifetime of 5 years then they will need to pay three, four, five times the price - but no one wants to.

But it's worth it if the only way of knowing that its faulty is by an engineer attending to test and charging £50 for the privilege.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 03-Feb-14 10:18:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by PeeBee:
But it's worth it if the only way of knowing that its faulty is by an engineer attending to test and charging £50 for the privilege.
It isn't the only way- keep a couple of spares and swap them out if you suspect a problem. Much cheaper and a heck of a lot quicker than waiting for an engineer to miss the appointment!

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to