Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Gari
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 30-Jan-14 22:57:33
Print Post

Next router recommendation

[link to this post]

Hi folks

I need your expert opinion on this

I currently have a Netgear DGN2200 and it has been solid as a rock. Probably the best router I've had. Stays in sync for weeks, even with low noise margin etc. But it is starting to act a little cranky so might be time for a new one.

I have a fairly long line with 47dB attenuation and I'm on a part LLU ADSL2+ service with Coms (ex ADSL24) and it is a Talk Talk (TTB) DSLAM at the exchange. I'm currently in sync at 6976kbps which I think is good for my line.

Years ago I used to know about better chipsets working with BT DSLAMs (Broadcom?) and I used to run a ST585. That was a good router too.

I have no idea what chipset the DGN2200 uses, and what would be a good replacement for it. I have been looking at the DGND3700, would that be a good replacement?

Appreciate any suggestions and advice
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 31-Jan-14 01:06:26
Print Post

Re: Next router recommendation

[re: Gari] [link to this post]

I'm using a Billion wired 7800 on a TT LLU partial line connected to the Vivaciti/Daisy network. Not sure what DSLAM or chipset (think it is Broadcom) but I get sync times of hundreds of days. Also the Billion has an SNR tweak page which on my stable line allows me to squeeze an extra 2mbps out of it and remain stable. Cant recommend the wireless 7800N as I have seen people report the wireless chip packs in eventually, but you could use an old router as a Wireless Access Point.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Variety LLU
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User JHo1
(learned) Fri 31-Jan-14 09:11:36
Print Post

Expert? Nah. But here goes. I don't share your experience of Netgear. See http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3D6GWYYF6DQSL/ref=cm... I had another Netgear before this one and the Thomson 585 that replaced it blew the socks off it.

I have a Billion 7800N and Billion technical support is superb. They speak English. As far as I can tell they ARE English. They know their stuff and they are VERY helpful. Unfortunately Billion stuff is very expensive and yes, after 2.5 years my wireless died. Now, I don't want to drop Billion in it, but at that point I discovered that their after sales service in general is unbeatable.

Good luck,
John

Edited by JHo1 (Fri 31-Jan-14 09:24:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 961a
(newbie) Fri 31-Jan-14 10:46:02
Print Post

I can vouch for the Billion 7800n. I'm on a very long line and this has been rock solid for months on end. It has a Broadcom chip and although it can't be described as cheap it really is worth every penny

The wireless performance round the house is as good as any I've come across
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-Jan-14 13:31:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by Gari:
I have no idea what chipset the DGN2200 uses...

That's a Broadcom chipset smile

My line is similar to yours (but not LLU) and Broadcom works well for me!
I'm still using my trusty old ST585v6 - I bought a couple of new ones on eBay years ago but am still on the original and haven't used my spare.

Like others are saying the Billion (also Broadcom) could be a good choice. Or as it works well on your line you could buy another DGN2200 - your sync is about as good as it's going to get at that attenuation.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-Jan-14 14:22:19
Print Post

DGN2200 running once more, my choice of Fritzbox 7390 got fried by lightning.

The 2200 is nice and stable so much so that since the storm broke the 7390 the DLM system is handing back SNR margin again, yippee

Cranky might be a side effect of flaky DNS at the ISP end or some other issue

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Gari
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jan-14 19:48:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, my DGN2200 often gives up resolving DNS. I have to reboot it, or use a second connection to resolve addresses.

Cranky - it saying I'm not connected (PPP down) and have an IP address of 0.0.0.0 yet internet working OK! Reporting no LAN clients connected. Upstream connection speed of some weird 6 digit number.

So I think it is losing the plot!
Standard User Gari
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-Jan-14 19:52:53
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Thank you all for your valuable information, suggestions and advice.

In view of the majority vote, I have gone ahead and ordered a 7800N. I think this should work very well with my line. I'll report back with how it compares with my DGN2200.

Thanks again!
  Print Thread

Jump to