Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tallseabird
(member) Tue 18-Feb-14 16:32:46
Print Post

Confused about FTTC routers

[link to this post]

Can someone please confirm for me that the ASUS RT-N65U N750 Dual-Band Wireless-N Router is suitable for FTTC?

I currently have an Openreach Echolife HG612 modem (I think it is an Huawei really) connected to a D-Link DIR826L router, it is this router that I want to replace. I would like to share media files across my network and the Asus has USB3 ports on it which I think will improve things.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Feb-14 20:29:39
Print Post

Re: Confused about FTTC routers

[re: tallseabird] [link to this post]

Any particular reason for the ASUS RT-N65U? I and a few others have the ASUS RT-N66U and no problems. Mine is connected to an HG612.

I just compared the specs on the ASUS website. The main differences seem to be the 66U has external antennae and a slightly higher WiFi spec, and also has DLNA.

The 65U should be fine smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 18-Feb-14 20:30:10)

(member) Tue 18-Feb-14 22:36:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The RT-N65U has USB3 ports - I have started to go cross-eyed looking at so many routers. I try to steer clear of wireless where I can so gigabit wired routers are important to me and after that as I said earlier USB3.0 ports would be nice. I bought some Devolo powerline adaptors a couple of years ago and the one furthest from my router has 3 200Mbps ethernet sockets and also runs a 300Mbps wireless network (close to where it is needed). I know I don't get those speeds but the speeds I do get are fine.

I have just bought an Android XBMC MX2 box so that I can stream media from an upstairs room to my living room TV, connecting a USB3 HD to the router would help that along. I have an ethernet cable running from the upstairs room to the living room although it has a join in it, I did a speedtest on the XBMC box today and got speeds of 15/5 when my router gets 75/15, I have always planned to replace that cable, just seems more necessary now.

Looks like since I bought my DLink router there are now Fibre modem/routers in one - not sure there is much to be gained by that - and you can aslo go down the 802.11ac route as well as 802.11n. From what I have read 11n is holding it's own and 11ac is really still for early adopters.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Feb-14 22:50:55
Print Post

How right you are! I missed that on the comparison frown. Anyway, it should still be fine smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(member) Wed 19-Feb-14 11:57:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for your replies (as ever)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 19-Feb-14 18:02:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by tallseabird:
I bought some Devolo powerline adaptors a couple of years ago and the one furthest from my router has 3 200Mbps ethernet sockets and also runs a 300Mbps wireless network (close to where it is needed). I know I don't get those speeds but the speeds I do get are fine
Just noticed this. AIUI all powerline adapters run at the speed of the slowest present?

Print Thread

Jump to