Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User anchor85
(newbie) Fri 28-Feb-14 23:35:26
Print Post

FTTC Problems with port forwarding

[link to this post]

At our sailing club we have just installed a new membership management system which among other facilities gives us a modern ePOS facilities in the bar, full stock control and smart membership cards linked through to the main database. As part of the remote management, the company supplying the system requires that we open a number of ports on our router and forward these to the new server in our office. For a long time we had a standard adsl package from Newnet with a Linksys WAG200G router. I forwarded the required ports and tested these with ShieldsUP and ping.eu. The required ports showed up as open.

We then decided to upgrade to FTTC, ordered this from Newnet and this was installed a week ago. The BT engineer upgraded the line, installed an OR ECI modem and fitted the TG582n router supplied by Newnet. Basic internet access is fine.

Unfortunately when I opened the required ports on the TG582n I met a strange problem. All ports set to be forwarded have similar configurations and Newnet Tech support have confirmed that I have done this correctly. However when I test the ports some eg 60000 show up as open and others eg 60001, 60002 show up as closed, even though they should be open. In all we need 14 open ports and 9 show up as closed.

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on where the problem might be? I have obviously raised a support ticket with Newnet a week ago but at the moment they are just as baffled as I am.
I have:
- rebooted the ECI modem and TG582n
- replaced the TG582n with a configured Netgear WNR2200 with the same ports open but scanning the ports results in the same ones showing up as open and closed. This seems to show it is not a router config problem.
- I have scanned the ports from my home as well as in the club office with the same results.

I came across the AAISP blog with the issue with Huawei FTTC modems dropping UDP packets and breaking VPN's but our modem is an ECI one. I have spent a lot of time looking online but can't find any references to a similar problem. I can't see that I have configured the router incorrectly and I wonder if there is a bug with the BT supplied modem.

I hope this is the correct forum for this post, does anyone have any suggestions of what I could try to pin down the problem?
Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 01-Mar-14 00:12:08
Print Post

Re: FTTC Problems with port forwarding

[re: anchor85] [link to this post]

Have you looked at the other various DoS options in the routers?

Lots of routers now react to outside access and inadvertently block stuff that is not from a well known protocol. This especially applies to port scans.

A trusted person on another broadband connection running telnet to see if the ports are open is best bet to verify beyond the actual EPOS working or not.

Don't recall having seen any port forwarding moans on FTTC services before.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Mar-14 00:48:28
Print Post

Re: FTTC Problems with port forwarding

[re: anchor85] [link to this post]

Sounds like it's down to the ISP then ,are they blocking some of the ports ?The TG582n isn't a good router anyway

Edited by tommy45 (Sat 01-Mar-14 00:50:48)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to