Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mechmanuk
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 17:10:13
Print Post

advise on new router, modem?

[link to this post]

hi folks, I need a little advice please. I have my isp with talktalk larger so my upload is 5.5mbps or there abouts? but im not getting any better speed when im gaming. and wondered if it was my modem and router that may be stalling the speed? I have a BT b-focus V-2fub Modem plugged upto my talk talk Huawei HG533 adsl2 + router?

Can I do away with both these boxes and just buy a decent modem/router that the fibre plugs into (not sure how all this works?)

Also been told to buy a network card aswel and plug the LAN cable into that instead of the motherboard?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Mar-14 18:13:23
Print Post

Re: advise on new router, modem?

[re: mechmanuk] [link to this post]

Online gaming needs only 100 to 200 Kilo bits per second i.e. 0.2 Mbps so you have more than enough speed for shooter type games.

So explain more about your speed in games? I presume you are talking about lag and latency, in which case its not speed tests but ping tests to your chosen game servers that you need to look at.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mechmanuk
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 19:34:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

hi and thanks for the reply, i play black ops 2. I found out from talktalk that my upload speed was capped at 1.80 if i payed extra i could go larger and get upto 19mbps? so i did and the speeds show i get an average pf 5.50mbps?
but in the game nothings changed my ping still floats around 60-65 i still see the lag and glitching? could it be my graphics or even my board as i was told a network card would help?
thankyou for posting

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 02-Mar-14 20:04:15
Print Post

Well I would expect no difference in game play between the 40/2 product (i.e. standard talktalk) and their expensive 80/20.

NOTE the 20 Mbps upload would only be reached if you are close to the cabinet within 150metres.

The speed upgrade does nothing to change the lag/ping. Unlikely to be the network card unless there are bad IRQ conflicts in the system, but very rare these days.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mechmanuk
(newbie) Sun 02-Mar-14 22:01:42
Print Post

thankyou for the advise, i currently have the LAN cable plugged direct to the motherboard. Would it benefit me to buy a network card?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Mar-14 00:07:50
Print Post

No

Only caveat would be if you find others online with the same motherboard saying adding an extra card has fixed it, but has been some years since motherboard Ethernet ports have been bad.

You can check this by pinging the router and seeing if the latency is nice and low and consistent to the router.

Standard User mechmanuk
(newbie) Mon 03-Mar-14 18:51:33
Print Post

im not familiar with this check, how can I do this please?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 03-Mar-14 19:14:39
Print Post

Open a DOS command prompt window and type

tracert www.thinkbroadband.com

The IP address of the first hop should be probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1

So take that ip address and issue the command

ping -n 600 192.168.0.1

This will ping the router for ten minutes then report the results. DONT do anything on the PC during that time as it will affect the ping.

Standard User mechmanuk
(newbie) Mon 03-Mar-14 21:28:33
Print Post

many thanks, ive now done that with the ip 198.168.1.1 and the results were
min = 0ms max = 1ms ave = 0ms
does that look okay? or have I done it wrong
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Mar-14 21:32:15
Print Post

That's good. Normal is 1; 1; 1. The zeros I expect are below 0.5.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to