Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mbames
(learned) Sat 08-Mar-14 12:29:39
Print Post

Draytek and Fritz VPN (site to site)

[link to this post]

At the moment my brother, father and myself all have Draytek routers (2820 x 2, 2600 x 1), and we happily have site to site VPNs configured between them (linking in with no-ip.org).

However I recently migrated to Skys Fibre from LLU. I currently have the Sky router connected into the WAN port of my 2820 (sky router is in DMZ mode - shame I can;t work out how to get it to bridge). This configuration is a little messy as the 2820 reports the wrong IP address to no-ip.org, and I can't connect to the web interface of my cctv remotely either.

Therefore I am thinking I might buy a new router. I could go for another Draytek (better the devil you know), or something else. On looking around I see some fritz boxes (7390/7490) with built in DECT base stations, etc and 3g fail over, etc.

However what I need to know is will I be able to get the site to site vpns working again - both dial in/out from all locations, which is how the Drayteks behave currently. I also require the ability just to dial into the VPN too, all of which I can happily do the 2820.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys smile

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 08-Mar-14 14:47:56
Print Post

Re: Draytek and Fritz VPN (site to site)

[re: mbames] [link to this post]

That reads as though you have the latest Sky installation using the inbuilt modem of their router.

You could get a Huawei HG612 VDSL2 modem off eBay, which is what most ISPs still supply, and feed the WAN port of your Draytek from that. You need to know your Sky login details of course, to set up in the Draytek.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User mbames
(learned) Sat 08-Mar-14 22:58:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I do indeed have the latest ADSL/VDSL sky router (black vertical thing).

I suspect I can extra my sky login details (or use the o2 ones I have seen banded around). I was never sure if the 2820 would be able to support the full throughput (currently on 40/10 package) as it is rather a step up from ADSL data rates.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Mar-14 23:19:26
Print Post

I have two different model Draytek VDSL2 routers (2850 and 2860np) happily connecting by VPN to two different Watchguard firewalls as well as to each other.

I think that as long as the Fritzbox is compliant with IPSec standards it should work with the Drayteks without any trouble. I have no experience of SSL or PPTP VPNs with Draytek so can't comment on those.

I use the Draytek routers without an Openreach modem.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 08-Mar-14 23:32:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by mbames:
I was never sure if the 2820 would be able to support the full throughput (currently on 40/10 package) as it is rather a step up from ADSL data rates.
apparently the WAN throughput for the 2820 is 50Mb/s - http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/article_info.php?art...

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Mar-14 11:28:03
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
apparently the WAN throughput for the 2820 is 50Mb/s - http://www.broadbandstuff.co.uk/article_info.php?art...

I used to have a 2820 on my BT infinity connection, and it maxed out at 45Mb/s download. Since switching to the ASUS I get 50.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Mar-14 11:30:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You need to know your Sky login details of course, to set up in the Draytek.

Draytek released a beta firmware with the ability to take the Sky login details for "MER" back in August 2012. You just have to obtain the login details from the SR101 router, and this link might help:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router...

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Mar-14 12:07:12
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
You just have to obtain the login details from the SR101 router, and this link might help:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extracting-sky-router...

Or, as we now know, the O2 credentials can be used on Sky fibre MER.

Oliver.
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Mar-14 12:08:55
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
Or, as we now know, the O2 credentials can be used on Sky fibre MER.

Good to know, much easier. Now Sky just need to enable PPPoE and then any router can be used smile

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Mar-14 12:19:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
Good to know, much easier. Now Sky just need to enable PPPoE and then any router can be used smile

Yeah, if only. That said, even if Sky switched to PPPoE, they don't provide an Openreach modem so it would involve buying two devices or a costly VDSL modem/router.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to