Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User colin020
(newbie) Wed 12-Mar-14 23:42:24
Print Post

I need a good ADSL router

[link to this post]

OK, subject says it all.

I have a client who owns a couple of hotels with 30+ rooms in each and, he wants a good, reliable router that can handle a lot of heavy traffic.

He has tried several already and is close to the end of his tether.

Price, within reason, is not an issue. What is required is a couple of units that do not constantly 'lock up' due to the volume of traffic.

Any suggestions welcome.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Mar-14 00:41:45
Print Post

Re: I need a good ADSL router

[re: colin020] [link to this post]

It would be useful to know the connection type and sync speed.

Also, are the rooms ethernet-wired, or is he intending the guests should connect wirelessly?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Mar-14 01:06:25
Print Post

For a 30 room hotel he should be looking at commercial equipment including switches to manage the traffic. Obviously it will depend on whether he provides wired or wireless access and if wireless dedicated WAPs connected to the switch. A router would sit upstream of the switch and a modem upsteam of that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Mar-14 01:46:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
A router would sit upstream of the switch and a modem upsteam of that.
Only if it got extremely overheated tongue.

/me goes to bed on that note smile

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User colin020
(newbie) Thu 13-Mar-14 08:55:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK,

He has one ADSL2 line into each hotel
Connection speeds are not to bad. One achieves 18Mb whilst the other has reduced recently to 13.5Mb (I think that there might be an external fault)

He is trying to offer guests wireless access.

Currently using Draytek Wireless routers with up to 8 Edimax wireless repeaters (not the best) at each hotel.

It is not possible (due to a number of factors) to offer the guests wired access.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Mar-14 09:12:11
Print Post

Is the issue that the bandwidth is being maxed out? i.e. issue not router buy how connection copes with lots of traffic

Given that people are probably watching iPlayer etc then this is the most likely solution, and general solution is

1. Rate limit individual connections, but with 30 rooms and 18 Mbps you end up so not one can stream video
2. Add more broadband capacity
3. Offer a two networks - free but slow and contended and a premium one offering say a rate limited 3.5 Mbps for a fee, and only sell 3 a day.

My suggestion is talk to the people at Solwise http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-hotspot.htm and see what they recommend given the site of the property.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Mar-14 09:31:07
Print Post

If the repeaters are truly wireless in that the connect to the router or each other wirelessly then that is going to cause real local contention and slow down issues. All wireless access points should connect back to the source through a wired connection back to a Gigabit switch - something like a Linksys.

M H C

Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 13-Mar-14 09:34:50
Print Post

Can't entirely see the point of a gigabit switch when there's only a not many megabit connection to the internet...

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Mar-14 09:47:08
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
Can't entirely see the point of a gigabit switch when there's only a not many megabit connection to the internet...

Better spec'd probably with a better processor and having possibly 30 or more devices at peak times connected through 8 wireless channels could be a nice little traffic jam, some of the small 100Mbit ones can struggle when there are large numbers of devices connected. And they are not much more expensive.

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Mar-14 12:29:26
Print Post

And in the current set-up people on the local LAN can probably see each other and might be torrenting between each other.

Wireless isolation so that one hotspot user cannot see another is a feature for some hot spot kits

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to