Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 22-Mar-14 13:11:15
Print Post

Billion 7800 reconfiguration: is a restart necessary?

[link to this post]

In the last day or so I've changed the addressing on my home network so that I now work with fixed IP addresses on the LAN side of the router. The latter is a Billion 7800, wired version. There are one or two different methods for doing this but the one I've chosen has involved making a couple of minor DNS configuration changes in the 7800.

As far as I can see, the new setup works, but I've been wondering if I should have performed a Restart of the 7800 before exiting from its interface. Should I have done? The change was basically to turn off the 7800 from being a DHCP server to the LAN. I did press Apply/Edit where the changes were made and I also saved the configuration to the 7800's flash. But I didn't do a restart of the 7800 and, in retrospect, I'm wondering whether I should have done. Or maybe even a power cycle of the 7800?

I've had this 7800 for nearly two years now and I can't recall much about setting it up, but does a Restart cause the router to disconnect and resync? That's something I've been hoping to avoid.

Anyone familiar with the 7800 series who can advise me on this?
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 22-Mar-14 13:18:22
Print Post

Re: Billion 7800 reconfiguration: is a restart necessary?

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

It's a while since I used a Billion, but yes, a restart (reboot, power cycle) will force a re-sync.

As for whether a configuration change requires a restart or not- on all the routers I've ever used if it requires a restart it will do it automatically, if it doesn't it won't!

Sometimes they have the courtesy to ask first, but not always... iirc the Billion doesn't ask.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Mar-14 12:43:08
Print Post

Any adjustments to DHCP on my Draytek Vigor require a full restart. On most home routers after any sort of significant or "unusual" change I do a restart... yes it is 1 minute of internet interruption but you know what you're getting.

Yes it will force a resync, curious as to why you want to avoid that?

Zen 8000 Pro

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User faircot
(newbie) Wed 26-Mar-14 13:03:03
Print Post

I use a Billion 7800N. In my experience if the config changes you've made require a restart it will tell you. Some changes (MTU for example) don't need a reboot - but I've failed to find a logic for this.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Mar-14 22:25:21
Print Post

[re: faircot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by faircot:
Some changes (MTU for example) don't need a reboot - but I've failed to find a logic for this.
That's cuz MTU is not a connection parameter; it is of no interest to the DSLAM at t'other end. Neither is DNS nor DHCP; they're all to do with your own LAN. So none of them necessitate a resync.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to