Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Wed 26-Mar-14 23:00:06
Print Post

Zyxel SBG3300-N000 - Internet Led Indication

[link to this post]

I have recently purchased a Zyxel SBG3300-N000 combined VDSL modem / router from Ebay.

The user guide states that the Green INTERNET Led indication should only blink during IP activity.

With no devices connected either by LAN or WLAN the Green Led blinks at a constant rate (i.e. does not chatter as per when IP activity is actually taking place).

Can anyone familiar with this device comment if this is normal?

Previous routers which I have owned had a static green led when no IP activity was taking place.

I connect to the Internet via Zen Internet FTTC (40Mb).

I am a little concerned about rogue router activity following reports of routers being remotely hacked!

Many Thanks in anticipation.

Zen Fibre Active 24/5
Standard User LC100
(member) Tue 01-Apr-14 19:22:05
Print Post

Re: Zyxel SBG3300-N000 - Internet Led Indication

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

Hi

There seem to be two types of "flashing" to indicate traffic that I've come across.

Some try and flash in time with the traffic, so the LED flickers away almost randomly and this generally is the case with the LEDs on Ethernet ports or switches, other LEDs seem to flash at a constant rate just to indicate something is moving in or out from the Internet, perhaps only stopping if no traffic has passed for the last few seconds, this sounds like the Zyxel.

So if Zen are pinging you to collect connection statistics, or just general background Internet noise, that might be enough for the Zyxel to constantly flash at its steady flash rate.

Does it have a log that would indicate suspicious activity from the Firewall?

I doubt very much this type of steady flash would be a fault, it will be firmware controlled. Perhaps an email to Zyxel support?
Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Tue 01-Apr-14 20:13:45
Print Post

[re: LC100] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply.

Zyxel Tech Support were not much help! All they had to suggest was that there was likely to be lots of Internet activity trying to scan my IP address and gain access to my network and that this was likely to be the cause of the Internet led flashing!!

I have been keeping an eye on the router logs over the first couple of weeks of operation and can see no suspicious activity and only activity from the devices connected on my internal network.

Therefore, I can only assume that this regular and constant pulsing of the Internet led is an indication of no substantial Internet activity and that the desciption in the user guide is mis-leading.

Overall, I am happy with the performance of the device. Whilst I have not achieved any better sync rate on my line, my overall impression is of faster Internet response from all of my connected devices. Perhaps due to the dual core Broadcom chipset?

Zen Fibre Active 28/5

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ToneDeaf
(member) Sun 06-Apr-14 13:29:23
Print Post

[re: ToneDeaf] [link to this post]

An update on my last post - where I mentioned that this modem/router had not achieved an improved synchronisation rate on my line (approx. 900m from the street cabinet)

Yesterday I rebooted the device and it has retrained at just over 30Mbps (6.1dB noise margin) - an almost 3Mbps improvement over the rate achieved by my previous HG612.

This, coupled with the performance of the dual core Broadcom chipset, is now giving a noticeable speed improvement, especially whilst browsing on my HTC mobile phone connected by WiFi.

VDSL Training Status: Showtime
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL Profile: Profile 17a
Traffic Type: PTM Mode
Link Uptime: 0 day: 23 hours: 37 minutes
============================================================================
VDSL Port Details Upstream Downstream
Line Rate: 5.437 Mbps 30.281 Mbps
Actual Net Data Rate: 5.418 Mbps 30.232 Mbps
Trellis Coding: ON ON
SNR Margin: 6.0 dB 6.1 dB
Actual Delay: 0 ms 0 ms