Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User angrypanda
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 16:56:27
Print Post

Hardware for BT Infinity......what are my options?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I need to find some answers about modems/routers before signing up for BT infinity.

I rang BT and asked if it's possible to use the Homehub 5 as just a modem as I already have a really good router (Asus RT-N66U) and *really* don't want to change it. After a "computer says no" conversation, I decided against going with BT. But I can't believe using the HH5 is the only option. So.....I thought I'd ask the experts.....!

Are there standalone VDSL modems that would allow me to connect up to my router ? Can I insist that BT provide one? Can the HH5 really work as a modem as is suggested in other threads? Or is there something else I should be considering.....?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Jon

TalkTalk - says it all really - I'm a disillusioned cheapskate

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Mar-14 18:27:43
Print Post

Re: Hardware for BT Infinity......what are my options?

[re: angrypanda] [link to this post]

The ones Openreach have been supplying since Day 1 of FTTC are easily available on eBay - AIUI they are often brand new. There are two makes/models. The Huawei HG612 Version B and the ECI something or other.

The Huawei is the one to go for if you want to see the line stats easily, as there is a reliable "hacked" version of the firmware available.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 30-Mar-14 19:49:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by angrypanda:
Can I insist that BT provide one?
Don't see why not! After all you are buying a BB Internet connection from them not your home LAN.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User angrypanda
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 20:01:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS and XRaySpeX

Does anyone have any experience of getting BT to provide a standard modem rather than the (not as great as they'd have you believe) HomeHub 5?

You think they would jump at not sending you a HH5, which according to the sales person I spoke to is worth £200 (i.e. why on earth would I want to keep my own router!).

I bet I have trouble convincing them that I don't want or need it, especially since I'd also like to get a youview+ box, which I fully expect them to say will only work with their HomeHub despite this being complete nonsense.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Cheers, Jon

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 30-Mar-14 21:40:11
Print Post

Some aspects of the YouView use QoS that only works with the home hubs

Also by having the 'standard' kit you make support issues a lot easier, so take the HH5 check it works, then use a modem from ebay and your router most of the time

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User angrypanda
(newbie) Sun 30-Mar-14 22:41:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi MrSaffron,

Thanks for the tip, but it seems a bit wasteful. You can buy BT branded youview+ boxes from retailers, and I don't think there's a requirement for you to also use BT's broadband via their HomeHub? So I think the QoS requirements must be pretty standard. It certainly doesn't seem like a reason to waste time, money and precious resources on getting a HomeHub just to see if it works, then spend more money on an OpenReach modem to hook up to the perfectly good router that I already have working very nicely thank you.... smile

I understand that this might not fit with BT's vision (no pun intended) of how their services are used, but they might have been able to anticipate that there would be awkward sods like me out there (!) and give the option to only take a modem......?

Just a thought....

Jon

VirginMedia 30 Mbps
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 30-Mar-14 23:26:59
Print Post

In times past, Openreach supplied the modem and the ISP - in this case BT - supplied the router. Nowadays, the ISP can provide a modem/router. Your problem is that there are two separate companies involved, Openreach and the ISP (ok, in this case they are different divisions, but may as well be separate companies due to Ofcom's equality requirements). You will be supplied with whatever the ISP has ordered for you.

If you get a Homehub5, you may be able to beg a modem off the Openreach engineer, you may not. A good argument would be to point out there are number of problems with the Homehub5 and lots of unhappy customers.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User gomezz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 31-Mar-14 09:07:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by angrypanda:
You can buy BT branded youview+ boxes from retailers, and I don't think there's a requirement for you to also use BT's broadband via their HomeHub
Only if you want to subscribe to BT TV multicast channels (including BT Sport) though some people have managed to get the multicast protocol to work on their third party router.

BT Infinity 1 (unlimited)
Standard User LC100
(member) Tue 01-Apr-14 18:59:12
Print Post

Hi

With my install (by Kellys) they didn't know if I had a modem/router or not, they assumed I had a modem/router as they didn't bring into the house a modem. They asked me where the supplied router/modem was, I said I didn't have one (which I didn't) and he went back out to the van for a modem and seemed a little annoyed to be giving me it. I think in the case of Kellys they are trying not to give you one where possible presumably to save costs, or the engineers are the ones putting these all on Ebay smile

You could put the supplied one out of sight, if asked where it is, say something like "I was wanting to use a supplied modem to connect to my own router". If they then say their records show you should have one, well you never said you didn't and you can ask again about the modem or go and fetch the supplier router.

I would think the cost of the installs, whether you or your ISP is paying for it, should always include a modem which can not cost them much in bulk.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 01-Apr-14 19:06:19
Print Post

[re: LC100] [link to this post]

A router isn't needed anyway. You can connect a computer direct to the modem. If it's a Windows machine you can then network using Windows ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 01-Apr-14 19:07:51)

Print Thread

Jump to