Technical Discussion
  >> DSL Hardware Discussion

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User arjaffer
(newbie) Fri 04-Apr-14 09:11:04
Print Post

Hardware for EE (Orange) Fibre

[link to this post]

Hi
Anyone used an alternate wireless router in place of the Brightbox2 offering from EE(Orange)

I need one with SNMP and VPN capabiliites

Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Apr-14 23:01:37
Print Post

Re: Hardware for EE (Orange) Fibre

[re: arjaffer] [link to this post]

No reason why you shouldn't, rembering that BB2 contains the fibre modem.

EE users unlikely to visit here.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 04-Apr-14 23:02:57)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 04-Apr-14 23:17:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
EE users unlikely to visit here.
The whole site, or just this particular forum?

Not that it matters, as you've answered the question and non-EE are probably in a better position to give ideas.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Apr-14 05:48:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OP was not seeking advice but asking if anyone used an alternative to EE's BB2. Only an EE user could answer that.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Ianph
(committed) Sun 06-Apr-14 07:42:44
Print Post

if your using the bb2 now and have an openreach modem at hand i would use the bb2 in ethernet mode until you can get a better router

the bb2's inbuilt modem consistently on my connection sync's a few meg lower than the ECI modem i have

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EE unlimited Fibre 76

72meg sync
EE Brightbox 2 (Ethernet Mode) + Openeach ECI Modem
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Apr-14 08:53:28
Print Post

We shall have to agree to disagree again. To my mind the OP is about a suitable router to replace the Brightbox on bog standard FTTC, which doesn't require an EE- specific solution. A wider response base than EE users seemed to me a good idea.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Apr-14 12:14:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

We can put thoughts into OP's head for hours, but we just don't know w/out him stating such. As he seems to know all about SNMP and VPN, prob more than we do, he prob knows all about such routers and is just doing a reality check here to see if it has been done before. I saw fit to remind him that the BB2 contains the modem, so as to look out for that feature as well as his more unusual requirements.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Apr-14 15:15:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by arjaffer:
Anyone used an alternate wireless router in place of the Brightbox2 offering from EE(Orange)
I need one with SNMP and VPN capabiliites

From what I've read if you have a separate VDSL modem, then you should be able to use any suitable router, such as the Asus or TP-Link ranges that support VPN. My RT-N66U doesn't have SNMP built in, but you can download additional packages onto a USB stick formatted ext3 and there is an SNMP package. (Also investigate Merlin's firmwares as they support optware a better package store). I would personally now get an AC68U but mine is a year old this week. smile

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Apr-14 18:34:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by jchamier:
From what I've read if you have a separate VDSL modem
OP doesn't had you read properly.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Apr-14 07:15:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by jchamier:
From what I've read if you have a separate VDSL modem
OP doesn't had you read properly.

There is only one post from the OP - the subject line indicates fibre and the post text says "wireless router". There is nothing to determine if they have a Huawei or ECI modem.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
  Print Thread

Jump to